Forums are back in action! ×

Nerd Fitness Musicians Unite

Pianist Lex, reports!.

I am decent in the piano, and an amateur when it comes to reading sheets.

I sing as well, too bad there are no karaoke where I live at.

Jesuschrist is the most wonderful and complex person as of date,anyone can learn from him- paraphrased from The Master of Emotion

www.cultivatinglashinibana.wordpress.com A log about my weekly japanese learning via Kanji study, and reading manga in japanese of course. Updated every Sunday.

Current Challenge:http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4867-Staff-Purge

i've got back into piano after quitting due to being forced into it at an early age, first off i'm going to try and completely master 'Ludovico Einaudi's' 'Nuvole Bianche' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTkzyyv0DuA without sheets, been doing it on and off for a couple fo weeks and nearly got the first page down, want to do it to surprise the hell out of my parents around chrimbo time :D

I've been playing guitar for 17 years. Can beat up the drums a lil bit... Can't sing to save my life. I've been playing in bands almost as long. My best: A Borrowed Life (Pop Hard Rock group now defunct. Check it out on Itunes :-) ) Now I play in a metalcore band called I Wish We Were Robots (No Itunes, Myspace/Facebook)..

My guitar now sits at an odd angle due to my gut :-) Time to get rid of that!

I've been playing guitar for 17 years. Can beat up the drums a lil bit... Can't sing to save my life. I've been playing in bands almost as long. My best: A Borrowed Life (Pop Hard Rock group now defunct. Check it out on Itunes :-) ) Now I play in a metalcore band called I Wish We Were Robots (No Itunes, Myspace/Facebook)..

My guitar now sits at an odd angle due to my gut :-) Time to get rid of that!

What guitars do you favor? I swear, when I have the $$$, I'm gonna have a sweet collection. =)

pause > breathe > press play

tweetle dee

I'm actually contemplating the thinline tele JA90 model. thinline body with p90's. it would give me a nice set, i have a hollowbody with humbuckers (ibanez AS73T, as seen in my avatar), a solid body with humbuckers (restored epiphone les paul studio from the 70's, the wood has aged niiicely), and a solid body with single coils (fender jazzmaster, japanese made. my personal favorite, but I like to mix things up).

are you much of a gearhead in terms of pedals/amps? or do you keep it simple and just plug and play?

tweetle dee

I used to rock a full rack with digital effects, sonic maximizers, Para EQ and a midi control module. Then I sold all that and bought pedals (Boss pedals just sound so much better). I'm a tube amp purist.. A solid tube amp (suited for the style your playing) a few pedals (delay, compressor, sampler ) running through my effects loop and I'm good to go.

I'm actually contemplating the thinline tele JA90 model. thinline body with p90's. it would give me a nice set, i have a hollowbody with humbuckers (ibanez AS73T, as seen in my avatar), a solid body with humbuckers (restored epiphone les paul studio from the 70's, the wood has aged niiicely), and a solid body with single coils (fender jazzmaster, japanese made. my personal favorite, but I like to mix things up).

are you much of a gearhead in terms of pedals/amps? or do you keep it simple and just plug and play?

I used to rock a full rack with digital effects, sonic maximizers, Para EQ and a midi control module. Then I sold all that and bought pedals (Boss pedals just sound so much better). I'm a tube amp purist.. A solid tube amp (suited for the style your playing) a few pedals (delay, compressor, sampler ) running through my effects loop and I'm good to go.

With you on tube amps, I rock a Fender Hotrod DeVille 4x12 combo... I don't have too much experience with rack mounted gear, I'm sure there are 1 or 2 that would be indispensable to me, but I'm not a touring/active/gigging musician (once upon a time. and on bass, no less.)

is there much difference between running pedals straight in a chain between guitar and amp or using effects in your send/return loop? I've never really tried. I keep my floorboard relatively simple... Volume -> Wah -> Envelope/Phaser -> Proco Rat (modded) -> Line 6 DL4 -> Tuner... I have the DeVille's footswitch next to my Rat.

tweetle dee

I'm not an expert, but I tend to always use my effects loop as I use my amp's gain for distortion. The way I understand it is the effect is applied to the amplified signal as opposed to going in the front where you are distorting the effected signal. I'd play around and see which configurations you like better.

Another vocalist here! I'm a classically trained soprano, but with my theatre background I have some proficiency in mix and popular styles as well. I was even one of two vocalists for a 70s rock cover band in college! Currently, I sing with a couple of different choirs and solo as often as I can.

I can also play piano and percussion, though not particularly well, and have dabbled in harp.

I wish I were a glowworm; a glowworm's never glum, 'cause how can you be gloomy, when sun shines out your bum!?

I did the band thing starting back in 7th grade, and played the trumpet through to my first year of college, where I started as a music major, and then switched up to multimedia communications. Along the way I picked up guitar, and some piano, and when I'm feeling crazy, I even sing a little. I'd love to learn to play the drums one day, but if Rock Band has taught me anything, it's that my arms and legs don't like to stay in any kind of rhythm at all. I rarely play my trumpet anymore, but you'll have to bury me with my Gretsch.