Forums are back in action! ×

Boston area, 50 yr old female, finally got the hang of healthy living. WOW

Hello there -

So, in a nutshell (a big one)... never focused much on health. Instead focused on my brains and general witty self. Grew up chubby. Got chubbier in college. Etc. Got married. Had kids. Went from being chubby to fat. Got fatter and fatter. Started my own business. Worked a bazillion hours a week (I'm NOT exaggerating). Got fatter still. Husband dropped dead of a heart attack in his mid-40s (he wasn't the picture of health either) and suddenly the lightbulb went off. "Crap, I better start taking care of myself or else that will be me, too." Why did it have to take that smack in the head?

Started slowly by doing a water fitness class at the gym. Got myself a personal trainer. Started taking classes at the gym. Eating better. And then started running a bit. Doing my first 5K tomorrow morning, bright and early. I 'll probably run about 1-2K of it and walk the rest, but I'm doing it. I've lost 40 pounds in the past year and a half. I am doing this slowly and it is definitely a lifestyle change. And, I can't f-ing believe it, but I LIKE to move my butt. Who knew? It feels great doing it and even better upon completion of said "exercise". I've been doing some of the plans on the NF site and really like the trainings there.

I'd like to drop another 40 pounds and continue to get healthier. I'm eating much better and I love what the weight training / strength training is doing for my body. I have muscles! Yup, I am surprised. I am surprised that for the first time ever in my 50 years, I feel HEALTHY and STRONG (and maybe even a little "sexy".) I posted my location in my title because I'd love to connect up with others in the area and continue to add to my support system posse. Glad to be here. Love the blog and the support and inspiration I find here.

Welcome to the rebellion! You have made amzing progress-40lbs lost-wow. Looking forward to hearing more from you as you continue your journey

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome to the Rebellion!

How did you do on your first 5k?

I finished it! Yippee! And I ran about 1.5 miles of it, which surprised me. But I had a buddy pushing me on. It felt great. I am very proud of myself. And I'm going to sign up for another one, too. It will be awesome when I can run the whole thing. Thanks for asking!

Woohoo!

One of my friends who is big into running always told me that the secret to 5k success is not to delay your first race even if you can't run the full thing. Keep it going and you'll be down to a 30 minute in no time!

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

Archived