Forums are back in action! ×

I can run!

Ok, so most people can run, but I thought I'd totally hurt myself if I did. About nine years ago I tore my ACL and meniscus playing soccer. To be more accurate, a girl that weighed nearly 250 pounds landed on it! Kind of important to know I was living in Italy. So, I get in my boyfriend's car (now husband :wink:). We head off to the ER. After arguing with them that I didn't need a translator (arguing in Italian, which should have clued them in!) I finally saw the doc who said I was fine. All they did was an X-ray! I should have known something was wrong when the whole room of nurses and doctors flipped out when I stood up off the table! Apparently I was fine, just not fine enough to walk out of the ER. So, more arguing and me cursing at them in Italian. Then they finally agreed to let me walk out of the hospital. I took a week off from soccer and then I was back on the team running around. I knew I was seriously injured. I never played in a other game, and shortly there after I quit running because of the severe pain in my knee. I also started falling whenever I would step on uneven ground. My knee would just totally buckle from my body weight.

Fast forward two years (Or so). My husband and I were about to have our first child. I was extremely nervous my whole pregnancy because I had been falling more and more. I didn't fall while I was pregnant! I decided it was time to go to the doc and get my knee looked at if I was ever going to have another child. After my MRI confirmed I had a torn ACL and meniscus, I scheduled my surgery for early December 2006. No "complications" from my surgery. My meniscus was repaired instead of removed, which was unexpected. So I couldn't bare weight on my knee for 6 weeks. That sucked because I was supposed to walk out of the hospital!

Fast forward to 12 weeks post op. I was running 6 weeks after I was able to bare weight on my knee again! That was just crazy! But it was painful and my knee joint still felt loose. I only ran in physical therapy.

It has been over 5 years since my surgery. I have done little jogs here and there, but nothing crazy. Until last night! I ran a quarter mile! Not all in One go, not really fast, but I did it! And that is not the really awesome part. The awesome part was I had no pain or instability! I think I can finally run again! Woohoo! Extra plus, I don't have any pain this morning!

Archived