Forums are back in action! ×

keep a sick man busy! tablets and TV shows to start.

My father just had major surgery and has a long road of recovery ahead of him. All of his children now live across the country :( so we aren't there to entertain him. He's hooked up to a few tubes so anything mobile isn't really possible.

Does anyone have any experience with tablets and/or iPads? Someone had suggested it. I personally have a pretty old one (HP Touchpad that my boyfriend bought me for my birthday) but I don't know of newer stuff/really cool stuff to do with it or if it would be a good thing to buy him. I was thinking it might be good because he can surf the internet, play his games, etc.

Secondly, can anyone suggest TV series I could buy for him? Things he likes: NCIS but not Law and Order or Criminal Minds, Game of Thrones (read and seen them all now), the history channel, sports, Two and a Half Men.....I'm struggling to think of more.

He reads a lot, but he's tired of reading more than probably 10 hours a day.

Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

If he likes Game of Thrones, he may like Pillars of the Earth, Rome.

Other shows with interesting stories - Breaking Bad, The Wire. Both are extremely well rated and have many thought-provoking themes.

These 4 are perhaps the best series I've watched, after Game of Thrones. I'm not a TV-watching kind of guy, so that actually says a lot about them ;)

And hope his recovery goes well!

I second Breaking Bad, as I love both Game of Thrones and BB. Maybe the best thing you can do for him (if you have the budget) is get him an iPad with Netflix and Hulu Plus on it. He'll find his own stuff to watch, and he'll never run out.

How does he get his TV? Dish TV has apps that let you stream to a tablet. (verify availability). For ease of use, the iPad is probably still tops. My wife has a GalaxyTab 10" (not sure if you can still buy those with the Apple lawsuit). It's bigger than the iPad, but still can be held while reclining.

Words with Friends is pretty addictive :-)

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Wildross: Words with Friends is SO addicting. Last thing I need is him playing with me! I'll look into the Galaxy Tab. He has Direct TV and it's all they can get in their neighborhood I think.

ICB--I like the idea of the Netflix on the tablet--he would like that. I'll look more into it.

Zima: thanks for the show suggestions!! I'm going to check those out now.

You all are awesome!

TV series: The Wire (= awesome), 30 rock first couple seasons if he hasn't seen it, and Arrested Development.

I think you can stream netflix on the ipad now... not sure.

Other good entertainment (b/c tv and books all get old after a while) = lame puzzle books. Yeah it's lame, he'll think it's lame and he'll be so bored he'll be happy to do something other than look at a screen.

Also, maybe you can arrange to have some of his friends pop in? I had people come visit for a bit (even though I looked terrible). I asked about their day, their stories, etc. it really helped.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Eureka! (the TV series) is also addicting.

Slightly wierdy, more mythologically based is Warehouse 13.

Does he like SciFI... The Babylon 5 set is a complete story arc in a 5 year TV series

For old time sakes, you can get a set of The Muppet Show (100+ episodes with many stars from that era. It was really a variety show)

Some of these are on Hulu as well.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Archived