Forums are back in action! ×

Surfing lessons for a midwesterner?

So I'm trying to think up epic type things to do while I'm in San Diego on business for 12 days starting next week. I came across the prospect of surfing.

Now I enjoy water, was a lifeguard, spent about 30 mins total on water skis, but I've never even attempted surfing of any sort. How hard is it really? I'm in moderate shape now, and have no aspirations of doing anything crazy, but can any average Joe of decent fitness and balance give it a shot.

I'm intrigued but not convinced.

Any recommendations?

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

Australian checking in! Surfing is as hard as you make it; go to a surf school/class, use a big (preferably foam) board and catch small but regularly breaking waves and you'll be fine. Try to jump onto proper boards and waves straight off, and you'll have a hard time finding your feet. And you'll also piss off the other people in the line up.

But definitely give it a shot! it's not hard to get started, just start small :) surfing is awesome, good luck :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Australian checking in! Surfing is as hard as you make it; go to a surf school/class, use a big (preferably foam) board and catch small but regularly breaking waves and you'll be fine. Try to jump onto proper boards and waves straight off, and you'll have a hard time finding your feet. And you'll also piss off the other people in the line up.

But definitely give it a shot! it's not hard to get started, just start small :) surfing is awesome, good luck :)

Damn you Aussies and your abundance of surf! If I could swing it through work, I would absolutely move to AU...

This is good advice though. Just get your self a nice thick longboard, and take a lesson. Prepare to be brutalized by the waves a little bit. Have fun, that's about all there is to it. I would also add that if you get ambitious and go with a shorter board right away, you will not only have a hard time finding your feet, but also just catching a wave. It takes a little while to get your paddle power going.

Finally, if you like it prepare to feel a little bit sad every day that you're land-locked. My last surf trip will be two years ago in October, and I'm not feeling good about that at all...

Archived