Forums are back in action! ×

So, I stumbled upon this... revolution (?) while googling Paleo diets. I used to be pretty overweight, somehow managed to lose about 60 pounds via hardly ever eating and running way too much/hard (which I know is a really bad, bad way to lose weight, but it worked when I was 18 and I just stuck with it).

In late 2006-early 2007, I hit 175 pounds and was really happy with myself since I was used to be much, much larger. However, I STAYED at 175 pounds (with little muscle) for about five years, until now. In the past few months I've gained about 5-10 pounds and have decided that it would only go downhill from there.

I saw Saint's progress through Steve's posts and really want to turn my life around in a similar manner. I'm in the middle of making my plan and the hardest challenge for me is going to be to actually go to the gym. I don't mind working out, have a gym membership, and really enjoy it, BUT I hate working out around other people...

I also have a good friend who is a bodybuilder and really knows his shit, who is willing to help me out some.

I've recently emptied my cupboard of all processed foods and shopped for a vegan diet. Now, I plan on adding meats back into it and hoping for the best.

any support or advice is appreciated and I apologize if my plan is somewhat vague... I just started fleshing it out this morning.

Posting here is a good starting point! So what are your goals? The plan can't really be anything more than vague if you don't have a clear idea of what it's moving you towards. Sounds maybe like you want to lose some weight (5-10 lbs) and maybe gain some muscle/get stronger (with the help of your bodybuilding buddy)?

Behavioural goals are super-important (for me, anyways). As in, I will go to the gym 3 times per week for a month, or I will eat 80% paleo for a month...that type of thing. Once you've got your goals nailed down, build your plan to get you there. Best of luck, and keep us posted :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Hey there :) welcome!

I'm also one for having a problem with working out around other people, through mostly self-conscious reasons.. I'm not sure what your reasons are, but I'll assume the same. Once you've decided what you want to achieve at the gym, the things that tend to help me are:

* going at a quiet time in the day - go a few different times in the day and decide which time is the least populated

* taking music & earphones to eliminate surrounding noise made by other people

* try and force yourself to believe that nobody's looking, they're all concentrating on their own exercise

I hope this helped even a little bit, even though it's pretty standard advice. Good luck with your goals :D

[table=width: 350, align: center]

Level 1

475 / 1535 exp

Losing weight, getting fit and finding happiness...

...one quest at a time

[/table]

Hey there :) welcome!

I'm also one for having a problem with working out around other people, through mostly self-conscious reasons.. I'm not sure what your reasons are, but I'll assume the same. Once you've decided what you want to achieve at the gym, the things that tend to help me are:

* going at a quiet time in the day - go a few different times in the day and decide which time is the least populated

* taking music & earphones to eliminate surrounding noise made by other people

* try and force yourself to believe that nobody's looking, they're all concentrating on their own exercise

I hope this helped even a little bit, even though it's pretty standard advice. Good luck with your goals :D

:) I also hate working out around others, and I do ALL of these things. Early mornings (like 6:00 a.m.) are the best time at my gym to minimize the meathead quotient :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Thanks guys! You're both correct about everything you've said. I'd like to drop some weight and replace it (and then some) with muscle. I don't need to be an Adonis, but being slightly below average just isn't cutting it anymore for me.

I dislike going to the gym because I know I'm not "in shape" and therefore KNOW everyone is watching me... even though they're not. I also feel inexperienced with the machines/weights and am thus intimidated by them.

Thanks for the support and I'll likely be posting here often!

Abbey is dead on with her advice. I go at like 3 p.m. before most people leave work, crank some punk rock and get it in. Even if there are people, they're usually more focused on what they need to do to concern themselves with you. Which is the attitude I like to have. I'm not at the gym for them, I'm there for me.

My concern for you, however, is how you've lost wait. I know you said that you know it's a bad way but I don't want the results you got to dissuade you from trying a healthier more deliberate approach to weight-loss and fitness.

Mad Sci

Dwarf Warrior Level 1

STR: 3.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 2

My Challenge/Fitocracy

You're totally right. I kind of became obsessed with how well not eating and running like a madman worked... but then it stopped working. I hit some kind of plateau and people were worried about me and I've almost completely worked past it. HOPEFULLY I can continue to work out in a healthy way and get the results I want.

Archived