Forums are back in action! ×

I want to do a mud run with hubby. Advice?

I am trying to figure out which one, if it's worth it, what to expect, etc...

I have a bad knee, so me even thinking about doing a 5K is insane, let alone a mud run! But it looks like A LOT of fun, and fun for the whole family (the one I am looking at has a kids track). I made sure to do one that I should be able to complete with little to no issues with my knee giving out. There is a balance beam, mud crawl, over/under barriers (these are low so I can easily get over without having to drop down on my feet), and just "running" through mud. It's 55 per person which includes a shirt and dog tags. Also a goodie bag, but I don't care about that stuff!

I don't want to do it for time, I don't want to do it because I want to prove myself. It's kind of more a reward for being able to run a full 5K. I know I won't be able to "run" the whole race, more slosh with muddy feet from obstacle to obstacle.

I also have another option of doing the dirty girl mud run, but I can't do it with hubby. I think it'd be fun, but I don't have a lot of people at my fitness level to go with. My friends are either way above or way below.

In a perfect world, I'd do both. But no, not possible because they are on the same frickin day! And there is a third mud run in my area on that day, too. But that one is WAY to advanced for me. I would so hurt myself!

I just want to know what others have experienced if any of you have done a mud run. Any tips and advice are welcome, too!

I recommend that you sign up and do one. I’ve done a couple and they are a blast especially if you do it with a group of friends.

Don’t think of it as a 5k run, think of it as a 3.1 mile obstacle course where you run/jog/walk a little way then slow down and recover a little while you go through an obstacle. Just go as fast as you can without hurting yourself and complete it.

I recommend wearing clothing and shoes that don’t retain water and dries fairly quick and long sleeve running shirt & tight to protect your arms and legs.

Courage is finding the inner strength and bravery required when confronting difficulty or opposition. It is the energy current behind all great actions and the spark that ignites the initial baby steps of growth. It resides deep within each of us, ready to be accessed in those moments when you need to forge ahead or break through seemingly insurmountable barriers. It is the intangible force that propels you forward on your journey.

Train. I did a 10k with no training and it was misery. If I liked running Im sure it would have been a blast. I think I came in like 1367 out of 1368. Literally. The obstacles are really fun. I wore my vibrams and they stayed on really well. Avoid cargo pants. You may look BA but those pockets turn into water saddles. And do it with friends. Had I been alone I would have never finished.

My hubby and I are signed up for a Spartan race in the spring. I'm starting now so I don't keel over and cry in the middle.

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

My hubby and I are signed up for a Spartan race in the spring. I'm starting now so I don't keel over and cry in the middle.

That's exactly why I want to start small! Then we can do a spartan or one tough mudder together next year! Isn't it great to bond over getting dirty and beat down? LOL!

My wife and I did the Warrior Dash a few months ago and really enjoyed it. We didn't really train much, so we took it easy and walked most of it and had a great time.

The only thing I'd say to watch out for is on our race there was a part of the track that ran through a shallow, muddy creek where they had dug holes of varying depths to trip people up. Not sure if that would be in your race, but just something that might be there but not listed as an "obstacle" to watch out for if your concerned about your knees.

Archived