Forums are back in action! ×

Got chocolate milk??

Hi! I'm a newbie...just joined a couple days ago! I'm trying to tone up as much as possible in the next few weeks as I leave for a vacation to Hawaii! I know...way to wait til the last minute, huh :) Actually, I lost 5 pounds in the month of June and am fairly pleased with how I look, but I'm still untoned in my lower stomach - I'm a woman...that's where we tend to store fat :(

Anyways - I'm following the "slim down" guide, and I know that milk should be kept at a minimum, but does anyone know anything about chocolate milk? I had always heard that it's a great post-workout recovery drink, but I can't find anything on Nerd Fitness regarding it. Anyone have any insight to offer??

Hey, what's up? I'd say welcome but this is my first post so I can't really welcome you :D

Milk's often cited as a perfect post-workout meal for people who are trying to gain muscle (lifting weights) and who need to get a good complete protein source for their workout to repair the muscle fibres that have been torn due to lifting.

If you're trying to lose weight, you're looking to attain a caloric deficit on a daily basis by performing more activity (burn more calories) and eating less (take in less calories), causing the body to burn its fat supplies.

You don't really need much more protein than the RDA (save a little to repair muscles used in performing cardio exercises like jogging and swimming) and the high-fat content of milk won't aid your quest to a toned lower stomach so milk isn't really the best post-workout supplement.

After I run (or any cardio), I usually eat a banana to give my potassium / sodium levels a boost (these minerals are lost during sweating) and then I make sure that I get a reasonable amount of protein throughout the day (RDA plus a bit more). If you're planning on lifting weights whilst doing cardio, you'll need to eat more foods high in protein but also low in fat so that your muscles are repaired but you are taking any more calories than necessary - nuts and beans are good alternatives but make sure to get as many complete sources of protein available.

If you are talking "tone up" as in having more muscle definition, you would be hopefully lifting heavy at the gym (or bodyweight sessions) to get your muscles bigger to show through. Than yes, i'd say chocolate milk is a good thing to have post training session.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

.Dan and Pat G,

Thanks a lot for your advice. After reading your comments I realized that I did leave out some stats/information that probably would be more helpful. I am 5'0" and weigh 119 lbs, so I'm not overweight by BMI standards, or my doctor's standards. I am heavy lifting 4 days a week (I'm following the Dumbbell Division - Rank 1 right now), and I do some type of cardio on my rest days and generally take Sundays off altogether. Does that help any?

Celidah...sorry for the chocolate milk craving :)

The quickest way to get that toned stomach is to both concentrate on enlarging the muscles there (think body plank - they're better than sit-ups or crunches) and on losing body fat. You probably don't need me to tell you this but concentrating exercise on any particular area of your body won't cause you to lose fat in only that area - you'll lose fat evenly everywhere through a calorie deficit.

So three things you'll want to do:

- Lift weights

- Eat fewer calories

- Burn more calories, leaving you with a calorie deficit each day

Burning more calories doesn't have to happen exclusively in the gym. For example, if you need to make a trip to the shop and it's within walking distance, walk it instead of taking the car.

Hope that helped, let me know if there's anything else you want to know :)

Mmmm milk!

I have no answers! However I do have a recommendation, yogalates by Lynn Guaradado. I absolutely loved her classes and they toned me up very nicely. I also use her DVD's I purchased online. Search, Get Fit With Lynn, and you will love it! :)

Toning up is nice!

I'm toning and running. I enjoy running.

I'm also new too, started yesterday! Welcome to the rebellion!

Happy. Dreamer. Runner. Teacher. Fighter. Girl.

My journey for the juju.

KellyElizabeth's First Challenge Thread

Mmmm chocolate almond milk. Nom.

Welcome to the forums!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Archived