Forums are back in action! ×

Good day fellow members of the Rebellion!

So, a bit about me.

My name's Lesley. I'm 27 years old as of tomorrow and a week on Friday I submit my PhD thesis. I'm not horribly out of shape and my BMI has always been healthy, but I've also been sat at a desk for the past four years and before that I was an undergrad student and you know what that diet can be like. I've tried getting myself in shape and upping my fitness levels before. I've seldom stuck to a 'plan' for more than a week before jacking it in.

This time it's different.

The past four and a half weeks I've been doing the Couch to 5k plan. This week I ran for five minutes at a time for the first time ever, what a buzz! I have also, with the help of this website, been improving my diet by going mostly paleo. I've tried to properly commit this last week and despite one slip-up I am finding it easier to reach for the fruit bowl or a small bag of almonds than heading for the biscuit tin. I'm also drinking a LOT more water than I used to. A week on Friday I submit my PhD and I also get paid. I'm going to buy myself the Rebel Fitness/Strength guide and start doing more weight/strength exercises alongside continuing the 5k plan. I guess that's what I've learned most from this website so far. Start small, aim big. I love running and want to keep doing it, but I also want to get stronger so I guess I'll be coming here to look for advice on balancing workouts etc.

Anyway, hello! This is the longest I've stuck to any sort of plan, so hopefully I'll be around for a good long while :D

Welcome to the Rebellion. Make sure you get with a guild that will help you with your goals - maybe the Scouts since you are into the C 2 5k program? Basically just pick a guild that best suits your workout interests and goals. They will be priceless in their help for you. all the best in your goals!

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Hello Lesley!

You're submitting your thesis?? I'm so jealous. I just started the journey to my Masters and my goal is to have my Doctorate before age 35

Anywho, I'm excited for you. And curious about this couch to 5k journey. I one day just go up and decided hey, I'm going to go for a run...then ended up here lol.

Congrats on everything. You sound like you're going on the right path!

Happy. Dreamer. Runner. Teacher. Fighter. Girl.

My journey for the juju.

KellyElizabeth's First Challenge Thread

Thanks for the advice Tom. I'm looking to get into running longer distances once I'm doing 5k in a decent time so I'll head on over to the Scouts!

Kelly - yeah! It's really scary but I guess that's just what people go through when there's light at the end of the tunnel! The Couch to 5k program has been super useful for me since when I went out running before I would just exhaust myself and a days break would turn into two would turn into a week would turn into me not going out again for a month. So taking it slow has meant a huge improvement. I do it through the NHS - http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx which has the podcasts up for free. It's 9 weeks which seems like a long time but the time has flown by! I find it helps clear my mind when I'm getting stressed out and I get a buzz from finishing a difficult run (whether it's mid-run going up-hill or the last five minute run and my legs want to stop).

Lesley- welcome to the rebellion! way to go on deciding to do the C25K, it's so helpful to have a plan in mind! Good luck in your endevours!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Archived