Forums are back in action! ×

Barefoot running woot!

AssassinTori

Today, I decided on a whim that I was going to (finally) try barefoot running. I try to run about a mile every day, so I set out running barefoot around my block (which happens to be a 1-mile loop). I made it! I didn't have to stop once. It took me 11 minutes, since a quarter of it was uphill (it's pretty steep). But I didn't have to stop! :D In fact, I didn't want to stop. It's over 90* F here, and the concrete was definitely not too fun to stop on. Thank goodness for the hot potato effect! Haha. My calves and shins feel great, and they normally are the first to go in my awful, old running shoes. Take that, shoes! Woot!

Now, any ideas on how I can treat the delicate soles of my feet that are now raw? Haha.

"Down there we know, the streets we know, but up here? Nobody's been here." ~ David Belle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha. I love it, Big. Unfortunately, my very gracious boyfriend is in Utah, and I'm in Cali until August. Pretty sure it'd be weird for anyone else to be giving me a foot rub. XD

"Down there we know, the streets we know, but up here? Nobody's been here." ~ David Belle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hot water does sound nice. I might just do that tonight. :) I wish I could do Vibrams, but my toes are really close together and slightly shorter than the average person's (I blame ballet) so they cause me a lot of pain and discomfort. :/ I'm thinking of investing in some nike free 3s soon. I've already designed them, and they're waiting for me to bring myself to spend $130. >.<

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm a bit too OCD to put lotion or oil on my feet. Another reason why this is a woot for me. Haha. I've never gone barefoot running because I'm such a germ-and-dirt-a-phobe. Sad, but true...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Give your soles some yoga-like attention - if you've ever had a REALLY good instructor, they'll tell you to spend a few minutes every day "playing with your toes". Just stretching out the ball of the foot, the arch, putting kneading pressure on the fat pad of the heal, spreading the toes with your fingers... this'll also help keep any blisters that might be forming deeper under the skin from getting too large, as well as help prevent any cramping in all those little muscles later.

Congrats on the run! Barefoot is so much FUN, isn't it? Hope you do it again real soon.

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

Also for shoe options, try out New Balance Minimus, plenty of toe room and they feel as good as my Vibrams. Mine ran me about $100. They have a little bit of sole but none of that pesky midsole stuff. Even Nike Free was too much shoe for me... but I was ordered to buy shoes-that-were-not-Vibrams, so I had to find something!

May the odds be ever in your favor!

I have a blog. It can be found here: http://wildcatspeaks.blogspot.com. I put my training up here, accomplishments, how many times I've vacuumed this week, etc.

Archived