Forums are back in action! ×

Question about fasting

Toph821

I've been reading that intermittent fasting also goes along well with the paleo lifestyle. However, I've never come across when it is best and when it isn't to fast. Because I've had trouble finding a huge variety of food to cook (I know this will change once I get more and more used to paleo), I've decided that I will fast from lunch at work on my off-workout days, to keep my calorie intake lower on those days. Does this make sense or is it a bad idea?

Basically my week will look like this:

Monday: Workout, eat 3 meals

Tuesday: Off-Day (with Yoga/stretching), eat 2 meals

Wednesday: Workout, eat 3 meals

Thursday: Off-Day (with Yoga/stretching), eat 2 meals

Friday: Workout, eat 3 meals.

I'm still deciding what is best for weekends since I often travel to see my family back home and KNOW they don't eat paleo foods.

Suggestions? Comments? Am I an idiot?

There are like a billion different methods of intermittent fasting, so there's a ton of self-experimentation you can do to see what works best. It also depends on your goals (more muscle mass, less body fat, etc etc).

Also, it's good to phase from a less strict method to a more strict one.

Right now, I have a cheat day followed by a 24 hour fast. On the fast day, I'm allowed water, and if I start to feel bad, an apple or a protein shake. But that's it. Then it's business as normal: 3 (protein/veggie) meals a day with snacks depending on my hunger level.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

I'm really hesitant about allowing myself cheat days because I really, really want to shape my body and get into amazing shape as quickly as possible. I have this feeling that if I allow cheats, it won't happen. How is your progress going with cheat days? Does it work for you?

My weight has been slow to decrease, but I'm depending more on weekly measurement readings to see what's what. In fact, I think it's time that I go and do my measurements...I actually think I forgot to do them last week because I was taking it easy due to a pulled groin (taking it easy = swimming only for me).

I'll go take measurements and repost here with my inch loss. I hope it'll be happy news lol.

Rudyard Kipling

You might want to check out this - http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I think he advises daily fasting periods, with the fasting period being ~16 hrs and the feeding period being ~8 hrs. Also, sleeping can count as part of your fasting period, so theoretically you can start fasting after dinner (or whatever your last meal of the day is). Might be easier to adhere to if you can sleep through half of the fast :) Let me know how your routine shapes up! I'm also interested in an intermittent fasting approach, but haven't landed on one that I feel I can sustain, long-term.

I also just found this...and in our own backyard :)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10156-The-Official-IF-Leangains-Mutual-Support-Thread

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Depending on goals, your personal interests, etc., you can fast before a workout. I workout on the weekends in a fasted state. Mark's Daily Apple website would have several conversations on it.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Last measurement was taken on 7/2, and since then I've lost a total of 2.5" over the 10 places I take body measurements. I've lost 3 lbs.

I could have probably done more if I'd been able to do harder workouts last week. Also, my measurements probably aren't as accurate as they could be because I am not taking 3 measurements and then averaging like a good scientist should.....mostly because I'm kinda lazy and this was just for my eyes and I hadn't planned on sharing this lol.

Also factoring in to the equation is that I'm a lady and I have a lady visitor coming soon, and that causes water retention, possibly skewing the data somewhat.

From now on I'll try to do averages so I'll have a better data set to share with people. In fact, I'll probably try to start doing this in the mornings after weigh-ins and thus decreasing variable amounts.

Rudyard Kipling

You might want to check out this - http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I think he advises daily fasting periods, with the fasting period being ~16 hrs and the feeding period being ~8 hrs. Also, sleeping can count as part of your fasting period, so theoretically you can start fasting after dinner (or whatever your last meal of the day is). Might be easier to adhere to if you can sleep through half of the fast :) Let me know how your routine shapes up! I'm also interested in an intermittent fasting approach, but haven't landed on one that I feel I can sustain, long-term.

I also just found this...and in our own backyard :)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?10156-The-Official-IF-Leangains-Mutual-Support-Thread

The leangains fast is actually one of the harder ones to do, so I hear. And like I said, it's better to kinda ease in with the easier fasts before you try that stuff out.

Rudyard Kipling

The leangains fast is actually one of the harder ones to do, so I hear. And like I said, it's better to kinda ease in with the easier fasts before you try that stuff out.

Good to know, thanks! So is the daily fasting an unusual regime? I had thought most were like this??

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

So, let me post some links on info for some of the fasts I've found in my research that haven't already been mentioned in this thread....

Fast 5

Lean Eating

Alternate Day Fasting

Warrior Diet

There are more protocols out there, those links are just what I had handy.

And here's a guy behind the Lean Eating protocol (doctor of some sort, actually) that did a case study on himself with most of these and reported his thoughts and findings. I guess you should take it with a grain of salt because he's ultimately trying to sell his protocol, but, it might give some insight.

Rudyard Kipling

Archived