Forums are back in action! ×

Obliques?

Ghost

i throw a hundred sidekicks each side... i drop my leg each time but my foot doesn't touch the ground... keep your torso as upright as possible... i try to go over 90 degrees from my planted leg... you can start out holding onto something for balance and just stand when you have enough balance...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

If you want 'em to be 'mirin dem 'Bliques, work them. (Sorry for the momentary lapse into Curlbro.) Otherwise, I don't think it's really necessary. Some will argue (Rip, Martin Berkhan) that you don't really need ab exercises at all on a barbell plan, as you're using your core for support on just about every lift.

If you want to be able to slice people with your abs, try torture twists. Get a bench and a bar/something about bench-height. Sit on the bench, set your feet under the bar, and lean back so you're parallel with the floor. Twist to one side and hold for 3sec, then twist to the other side. Start at 10-12 reps, and work up as far as you feel like going. I did these over the winter, and my obliques started becoming noticeable for the first time.

And in case my description sucked, here's a

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Well, depends on what you want to do with them. If you just want a stable core, basic movements (deadlift, squat, maybe cleans of some sort) should be plenty. If you're wanting to get into gymnastic type things, then you'll want to work in some more specific movements that someone besides me will know more about. Same if you just want them to be pretty.

Archived