Forums are back in action! ×

too fat for pullups?

Hello all,

I've been trying to progress through simplefit.orgs pullup/pushup/squat routine but I keep getting stuck on the pullups.

I can do a few pullups, but twice now I've 'tweaked' something in my abs. first on the lift side, then on the right side. Is this something I can fix by strengthening abs with another exercise?

I've purchased the rebel strength guide and will be doing the bodyweight routine. I just worry about re'tweaking' my ab muscles.

I'm 45 yrs old, 5'10" and have dropped from 197 to 190 the past two weeks. Primal diet is the answer. I know this, but just recently have focused on it.

I'm going to keep doing pullups, but would like to not hurt so much.

thanks for any help!

What do you mean when you say 'tweaked'? Is it a pain similar to a side stitch? How long does it last? And how hard are you pushing yourself when the muscles 'tweak'?

Also, the primal diet is awesome :)

MeshflipVampiric RangerLevel 2 || 86.7% expSTR 6 || DEX 2 || STA 9 || CON 4 || WIS 15 || CHA 7

Meshflip's January 7th to February 18th Challenge

Meshflip's August 6th to September 17th Challenge

Meshflip's June 18th to July 30th Challenge

Find a job you like and you add five days to every week - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Well done on losing 7lbs in just two weeks!

Pull ups are REALLY HARD, especially if you're overweight.

I still can't do a single one but can do sets of 30, 40 or even 50 squats or push ups. I'd say don't sweat the pull ups too much. They're hardcore and if you can do any at all, then so are you!

Do those pull ups slowly and with good form and you'll probably be fine.

My opinion on "ab exercises" is that you're probably best off doing stuff that engages your whole core. Most bodyweight stuff does that when your form is good.

I find planks, side planks and "supermans" to be good also.

Maybe, if you're concerned about injury, you could alternate with substitutes? e.g. On every even number set just do bodyweight rows or negatives (while your core muscles strengthen, which they will do from push ups, squats, planks, etc).

Personally, I can only just manage a single "nose up" (like a chin up but can only just get my nose to the bar).

I'm sure that another 30 - 40 lbs off my total weight will make a huge difference (as long as I can maintain my strength).

Here's me and my Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/61826

Part of it's your heavy body, but part of it's probably your arms and core being out of condition. Start with easier stuff (planks, incline pullups, dips, pushups) and build up to the pullup bar gradually. It's good if you can find a kids' playground with a bar low enough for your feet to touch the ground. Get under the bar and do pullups assisting with your legs. Also try jumping to the bar, then slowly lower yourself down. Don't try too hard for pullups right away, you could hurt your elbows or shoulders.

You are going to feel some pain in your abs when you do a pullup. That's 'cause your abs are part of the exercise! You won't be able to do one if your core is too weak, so do your planks and stuff.

p.s. Most people who haven't trained can't do even one pullup from a dead hang, regardless of body weight. Don't feel bad. Think about all those people in the movies who hang from cliffs by their fingertips and go "halp meeee." Soon you will no longer be one of those people. Look forward to it.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Hi, 19judd67! I can't do pull-ups either, but I'm determined to do one someday! I've started about a month ago by doing inverted body rows at a very easy angle and negatives (jump above the bar and lower yourself down). Now I'm increasing the angle on the body rows (even did a few hanging upside-down from an arched ladder thing in the playground yesterday), and I've worked up to 3 sets of 3 negatives each on the monkey bars. I figure if I keep it up, I'll eventually get enough strength to do the pull-ups. One tip: make sure to do dynamic stretches before you start--swinging your arms, etc.-- and stretch after you're done. It helps a lot.

Edit: I was looking on Steve's blog for planks, and I came across this for pull-ups.

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

tweaked. . . um, it was definitely painful, worse than a side stitch. And the pain is with me all day when I turn my body the wrong way or roll over in bed. I don't know if its a pulled muscle? or exactly what to call it. The first time I rested over a weak and was ok. the last time I stopped when it became painful and it was sore all day, but is ok today. ( but I haven't tried a pull up) I think I'll go for some inclined pull ups for a while.

Thanks for the response!

Sounds like a pulled muscle. Maybe your determination is just stronger than your body? ;)

A pull up engages so many of the smaller "stabilizer" muscles that it's no real surprise that something in there wasn't quite up to the task of keeping up with your willpower.

That's a good sign for things to come as it's often way harder to build those psychological muscles than the physical ones.

Sounds like you're on the right path though. Stick to the substitutes for a bit and ease into it as your whole body fitness improves.

Then you'll be rocking out pull ups like there's no tomorrow!

Here's me and my Epic Quest: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/61826

I'm having the same problem. I'm at 203 and I can only get one, maybe two pull ups. My pull up bar isn't adjustable, so I couldn't do inverted rows on it. So I just bought 14 ft of some heavy (1 in. diameter) rope and I cut it in half and tied them to the bar. Then I plant my feet and slowly lower myself down with the ropes as far as I can go and do inverted rows on the ropes. I haven't tried to do pull ups yet to see if I've gotten stronger, but my angle is getting lower.

Goals

1. Long Term: 12% body fat by Dec 31st, 2013
  2. Mid Term: 22% body fat by Feb 6, 2013 (23rd birthday) - Current: 26%
  3. Short Term diet: 64oz of water a day for the first week of January.
  4. Short Term exercise: Increase reps on The Big Four.

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior STR: 4 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 4 CHA: 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] "A banana before, and a protein shake after are two of the three finest things in life."

Thank you for posting. My wife stared off doing resistant band pulls wrapped around the bar. When that became easy for her, she used the chair assist method; pushing the chair further out as she became stronger. She now is able to do 8 unassisted pull ups. When she wants more, I craddle my hands together for a low resting point, but no boost. I hope the tip helps

Take care and please stay safe.

Archived