Forums are back in action! ×

How's My Diet?

Aejaxe

Hey NF, I've been altering my meal plan to continue putting on muscle. I think I'm covering all my bases, but I was hoping I could get a few fresh sets of eyes on what I have lined up. I'm currently 6ft tall, weighing 170 lbs, and I recently trimmed down from 180ish. So I'm fairly lean, just looking to add more bulk, with less fat this time around.

Anyways, here's a pretty standard day for me-

Breakfast:

2 scrambled eggs (w/ cheese)

1/2 Avocado (w/ pinch of salt)

Protein shake (Milk + Ice + Whey protein powder)

Veggies (carrots, broccoli, spinach... etc)

Lunch:

1-2 beef pattys (w/ cheese, no bun)

1-2 grilled chicken breasts (w/ cheese, no bun)

Fried potato slices (fried with olive oil, and a pinch of salt)

Veggies (something other than what was had at breakfast)

Dinner:

2 beef pattys or chicken boobs (w/ cheese)

1/2 Avocado (other half from breakfast)

Protein shake (same as breakfast's)

Snacks:

1 cup of plain almonds (w/ a handful of craisins)

Protein shakes

Each meal is around 600-800 calories, with the almonds taking up nearly 1300 calories throughout the day, plus a little extra if I decide to have to craisins with them. Adding all that up turns out being around 3600 calories a day. With my protein shakes alone, I'm taking in 120 grams of protein. When including what I'm getting from my chicken/beef/eggs/almonds/avocado, I'm confident there's enough protein available.

So yeah, apologies for the lengthy post, but if anyone has some critiques or pointers, I'd definitely appreciate it. I'm mostly going off past experience and whatever info I can find on the web, lol. If there's any helpful info that was left out, just lemme know and I'd be happy to include more.

Cheers,

Aejaxe

Looks pretty solid man, it blows my mind how people keep track of what they're eating so specifically haha. I'm lazy so my philosophy has always been eats lots of food and lots of protein if I want to gain weight. And if I want to lose weight, just eat less and 'cleaner' but still eat lots of protein.

But yeah that looks like a good diet if you aren't gaining fast enough increase calories a bit, and if you're gaining too much fat cut them down. Just don't forget your multivitamin! haha

Looks good man! I would advise replacing some of the beef with other sources of protien such as chicken or fish but otherwise, lookin clean! Beef is fairly high in saturated fat and iron. Remember, men don't lose iron through regular bleeding like women do. Too much iron can become a problem for men. Also, red meat may be high in heat-resistant carcenigens which have been linked to increased rates of colon cancer.. and no one likes cancer.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some beef, but moderation is key. Salmon is killer choice when it comes to protien and believe it or not dark turkey meat is high in anti-angiogenic properties, which help prevent cancerous cells from growing out of control and also helps prevent the development of new fatty tissue!

Cheers!

chicken b00bs... hahaha... :)

one question... people don't generally fry with olive oil because it burns at a low temperature... how do you keep your oil from burning when frying with it? ... especially with a high water content food like potatoes...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Looks pretty solid man, it blows my mind how people keep track of what they're eating so specifically haha. I'm lazy so my philosophy has always been eats lots of food and lots of protein if I want to gain weight. And if I want to lose weight, just eat less and 'cleaner' but still eat lots of protein.

But yeah that looks like a good diet if you aren't gaining fast enough increase calories a bit, and if you're gaining too much fat cut them down. Just don't forget your multivitamin! haha

Haha yeah man, I'm only 20, and have had a super fast metabolism since I was a kid, so I'm sure I could get away with doing something similar to you. Keeping everything so clean and controlled though just satisfies some sick sort of anal-retentiveness in me lol. But thanks for your opinion/insight, I'll be sure to get me some of those multivitamins!

Looks good man! I would advise replacing some of the beef with other sources of protien such as chicken or fish but otherwise, lookin clean! Beef is fairly high in saturated fat and iron. Remember, men don't lose iron through regular bleeding like women do. Too much iron can become a problem for men. Also, red meat may be high in heat-resistant carcenigens which have been linked to increased rates of colon cancer.. and no one likes cancer.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some beef, but moderation is key. Salmon is killer choice when it comes to protien and believe it or not dark turkey meat is high in anti-angiogenic properties, which help prevent cancerous cells from growing out of control and also helps prevent the development of new fatty tissue!

Cheers!

Hey, totally right about the beef, and it's something I've noticed. I'd really like to get some halibut or salmon stocked up in my freezer, but no stores in my area sell them in bulk =( The risk of hyper amounts of iron also didn't occur to me. I guess I'll need to brainstorm a bit and balance out my beef consumption. Thanks for the post amigo!

chicken b00bs... hahaha... :)

one question... people don't generally fry with olive oil because it burns at a low temperature... how do you keep your oil from burning when frying with it? ... especially with a high water content food like potatoes...

Heh, boobies...

I feel embarrassed to say, but I had no idea this was a problem when cooking with olive oil. It's honestly something I picked up from cooking with me Ma' when I was a kid, along with some reinforcement from the internet (cooking with butter just skeezes me out). So I don't know the specifics of how it works, but I haven't had any issues with using olive oil when cooking/baking/frying. Just crank the stove up to a 5-6, and once my pan is heated up, toss a light layer of olive oil over it. Move the pan around to even everything out, let the heat warm the oil up and then I'll add my potato slices.

Adds a nice flavor, and if you throw a lil' salt and cheese (if you need the extra calories), mmmmm... those potatoes turn out quite dandy.

Sunflower oil is a great high-heat capable oil to fry with! It has very little flavor and can take a pretty serious heat. Olive oil smokes at a pretty low tempurature. I think its probably best to use olive oil as a "finishing" oil and leave the high heat oils for frying. Olive oil actually loses the majority of its flavor when it hits the smoking point as well, so another reason to add it post cooking.

You could slice the potatoes, boil them for about 3 minutes, season them up, toss them in a bit of sunflower oil and throw them into a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes or so and have awesomely crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside potato slices! Drizzle a bit of olive oil and fresh chopped chili over top and voila. Healthy, delicious, and no concerns about smoke points!

If you REALLY wanna use olive oil to fry with, the "light" olive oils can generally take much higher heats than the "extra-virgins" as they have been heavily processed. Mind you, this processing also brings about a lot of potentially nasty contaminants and detergents so.. proceed with caution!

I'm a bit of a health nut If you havn't noticed :P

Cheers!

Archived