Forums are back in action! ×

Pulling, now.

Ghost

Someone give me information on pulling exercises.

Including horizontal and vertical differences.

Give me a straight answer for Chin Vs Pull.

I'm sick of dodging around the internet getting mixed results.

I apologise for being rough, I'm in a bad mood, and I'm tired.

Sorry Nerd Fitness, thank you if you respond.

IMO, there isn't a difference between horizontal and vertical. Most people find inverted rows easier because the feet are usually supported. It's like how push ups are a lot easier than trying to bench press your body weight.

Chin up = palms facing you

Pull up = palms facing away from you

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

Chin-up:

- grip = supinated (palms facing you)

- primary mover = latissimus dorsi (inserts at the front of the shoulder, runs and widens to the mid-side of the back)

- secondary movers = multiple anterior forearm and upper arm muscles, chest, posteriod delts, and multiple trap muscles (upper back)

- dynamic stabilizer = biceps

Pull-up:

- grip = pronated (palms facing away from you)

- primary mover = latissimus dorsi

- secondary movers = multiple forearm and upper arm muscles (including biceps), chest (not as much as chin-ups, though), posterior delts, multiple trap muscles (moreso than chin-ups)

- dynamic stabilizer - triceps

Biggest differences - pull-ups are generally harder. Pull-ups activate the lower traps much more than chin-ups, but chin-ups activate the chest and biceps much more than pull-ups. Either way, the lats get a good workout. Also, real-world applications tend to favor the pronated grip (pull-ups), but it sort of depends on what you're doing in the "real world" :)

Vertical pulls usually activate the lats more, whereas horizontal pulls usually active the traps more.

Hope this helps!

Edit - vertical downward pulls usually activate the lats more. A vertical upward pull (like a shoulder shrug) will activate the traps more.

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Horizontal pulling exercises are more back dominant than vertical pulling exercises, they engage your back more directly.

Chinups and pullups are not true vertical pulling exercises, close though, as you lean back when doing them to engage your back muscles.

A pullup will pull your elbows a hair further back than a chinup. If you have shoulder issues, especially tendonitis in the shoulder, pullups are a lot worse for it than chinups, that tiny little bit of extra ROM with the elbows really aggravates the shoulder.

The primary mover in the arm for a chinup is the bicep. Don't expect to get huge gunz doing chinups though, but it makes them eaiser than pullups. The opposite forearm position though for pullups makes the primary mover in the arm the brachialis, a small muscle between the bicep and tricep near the elbow.

Biggest thing BW wise is there is a huge gap in horizontal pulling. Inverted rows are really easy compared to a chinup/pullup, chinups/pullups are really easy compared to a tuck lever row.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Biggest thing BW wise is there is a huge gap in horizontal pulling. Inverted rows are really easy compared to a chinup/pullup, chinups/pullups are really easy compared to a tuck lever row.

You serious? Rows -> Wide (Bulgarian) rows -> Archer rows -> Straddle one-arm rows -> One-arm rows. Only problem might be between the wide and archer rows, where you can do something like uneven rows (similar to uneven pullups). In any case, as soon as you can do one-arm rows, you ought to be strong enough to do a tuck FL row.

Horizontal is more retraction oriented (talking about the scapula here), while vertical pulling is more depression oriented. If you're doing a lot of pushing, scapular retraction is very important in balancing that out, since you get a bit of depression out of dips and L-sit.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

+1 for vertical rows. If you have a pair of old crutches lay them on opposite sides of each other (bottom to top) across two even height objects. Get under them and grab the handles and pull.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4610[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4611[/ATTACH]

As you can see by my set up. Sorry about the second pic...my 8 yo didn't hold the camera straight. But I am under it straight. You can adjust your footing as needed to offer more or less resistance.

post-7907-13567244455312_thumb.jpg

post-7907-13567244456637_thumb.jpg

post-7907-13567244455312_thumb.jpg

post-7907-13567244456637_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 1 Dirge. Singing songs that make you run or die.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?14741-Dragonlyres-Quest

+1 for vertical rows. If you have a pair of old crutches lay them on opposite sides of each other (bottom to top) across two even height objects. Get under them and grab the handles and pull.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4610[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4611[/ATTACH]

As you can see by my set up. Sorry about the second pic...my 8 yo didn't hold the camera straight. But I am under it straight. You can adjust your footing as needed to offer more or less resistance.

It's a 100 deg. here, it would take a lot more dedication than I have to pull between two garbage cans.

Lots of good information here; it should get stickied somewhere. The only thing I have to add is that if you have bad shoulders, neutral grip chin ups (palms facing each other) are even easier on your shoulders than normal chin ups.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

The only thing I have to add is that if you have bad shoulders, neutral grip chin ups (palms facing each other) are even easier on your shoulders than normal chin ups.

and they activate the lats even more than supinated or pronated grip pull-ups/chin-ups!

Spoke too soon! Can't find the research on this anywhere...which isn't a good sign cause good research doesn't just disappear into the ether. Statement on lat activation differences fully retracted :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Archived