Forums are back in action! ×

Wide-eyed, I have arrived!

Hello, all!

I am here, and I too am ready to join the rebellion!

Borrowing from the format of another post (as I appreciate its structure) let's begin with nerd credentials. I am primarily an academic nerd, partly due to interest, partly because I'm a student determined to earn a Ph.D. This means I often have to devote most of my time to academic pursuits, though find them fascinating! Statistics, here I come! Otherwise, when I do have the time (i.e., breaks), I enjoy gaming (mainly console FPS, action/adventure titles) and watch my partner game when I must do homework and can't participate myself. By the way, the Uncharted and Dead Space series make for great 'movies'. Otherwise, I waste a lot of time on the internet, ranging from reading politico to gizmodo to stumbleupon and more. I enjoy comics when I can get my hands on them (when money allows), and Humans vs. Zombies made for some of my best early college memories.

Why I'm here? Overweightness runs in the family, and I'm deeply tired of getting excited about getting healthy, only to find countless 'reasons' why I must wait or put it off. I'd previously lost (and since regained with a vengeance) over 20 lbs. on WeightWatchers, but a grad student budget makes paying that kind of money laughable. I love a lot of athletic/physical pursuits, but often lack the self-motivation or company (too many sedentary friends) to enjoy such pursuits alone. Now, moving to a new city, school, and essentially life, I know I now have no excuses. I know how to eat healthy, and this community provides me with countless exercise options, regardless of my budget. Possibly motivation and community feeling too?

At 21 (nearly 22) years old, I'm supposed to be at the prime of my life. So why can't I run, climb, or engage in badassery? That's why I'm here, and I'm glad to support others in the battle for awesomeness and health! Hoping to do the 30-day (semi)paleo challenge, but hope to just generally reduce carbs and rely more on the healthy foods I grew up around. Today I did my first iteration of the Angry Birds Workout. Any thoughts, ideas, or questions? I'd love to discuss!

Archived