Forums are back in action! ×

Back Pain During Abs/Core Exercises

MementoMori

This is something that has been going on since before NerdFitness days, but I'm hoping that a collective of nerds can help solve this little conundrum:

For years now whenever I do any abs/core-specific exercises, such as plank, crunches, etc., I always feel it in my back and not my core.

I do slouch, especially when seated, if that helps any. (May just be extranneous information)

But it's always my back that feels the strain during any abs-related work, and I don't know how to fix this.

Any ideas, advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

*Also, if this has already been discussed, a link to that thread will suffice*

Thanks

It's like, that people … well, that everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds … not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe. (The Sandman - A Game of You)

This is just a guess, but bad posture could be putting some strain/overextension on your back muscles. It's entirely possible to mess up your back doing crunches, and you definitely do put your back to use even on "ab" exercises, so the pain may just be your body saying that your back isn't as strong as the rest of your core. Try adding in some back-specific core exercises (reverse + side planks, bridges, superman) to even yourself out. If that doesn't help, it might be something worth getting checked out by the doc—there could be something minor going on that you don't notice until you really strain the area.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Thanks for the idea

I've heard elsewhere that it's my core that's weak and that my back is compensating, but it's possible it's the other way around.

I may need to do some research into the matter. If I find conclusive or convincing evidence I'll post it.

But until then, I'll definitely try these things out.

Thanks again

It's like, that people … well, that everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds … not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe. (The Sandman - A Game of You)

The lower back is very much a part of your core. It's VERY common to feel pain in your lower back when doing core exercises. I think you are right in your last post in suspecting it may be "the other way around." Your lower back is probably too weak for the movements you are trying to do and that's making it hurt.

I've found doing some hyper extensions and other lower back strengthening exercises can result in a lot less back pain in core workouts.

I have the same issue. i was told that i have to make sure i work on my back too. i guess it's kind of like you said but your back is weaker. I was told to try adding in back extensions to my workout to strengthen my lower back. Also I've added a bridge and a few other yoga stretches before and after I workout. Seems like they are working because the pain has reduced some.

"Sweat is just fat crying"

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"

"Forget the sky there is no limit"

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" Leo Tolstoy

Follow me https://twitter.com/J_oreo77

Instgram- j_oreo77

Archived