Forums are back in action! ×

My proposed workout

Lefeux

This is the workout that I am looking at starting up again. (pulled from http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner-fullbody-workout.html)

I plan on doing this on a M-W-F or a T-Th-S schedule with cardio on the other. I have never really done any strength training so I am a little nervous about it.

My goals are to drop from 195 and 30-35% BF (not sure. headed back stateside this week and I plan on picking up some calipers) and getting down to 180ish and 10-15% body fat. If I happen to stay around 190ish but drop body fat, then I am ok with that too. Target date is 21 December 2012 (an no not because the world might end that day! :P )

I am also trying to start the Paleo diet (this weeks baby steps are no soda and no carbs) which may prove to be a bit difficult our here in Afghanistan.

Exercise Sets Reps

Squat 3 10-15

Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 10-15

Seated Calf Raise 2 15-20

Barbell Bench Press 3 10-15

Barbell Rows 3 10-15

Shoulder Press 2 8-12

Standing Alt Dumbbell Curl 2 8-12

Tricep Pushdown 2 8-12

Feel free to offer and suggestions or tips.

V/r

Lefeux

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Hey Lefeux! I have a few suggestions that may help (well, that's the intent anyway...sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen can just make a mess :))

First, if you're looking to STRENGTH train, lower your reps down to between 5-8. Reps in the 10-15 range are better suited for developing muscular endurance. I'm not saying you won't see your strength increase, too, but the rep ranges you listed aren't optimal for strength gains.

Second, focus on the big compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, and bench/shoulder presses). If you have time for the isolation exercises like the calf raises and whatnot, that's cool, but since you're new to lifting, start with the big complex movements and add complementary stuff if you feel like it later.

Third, if you're going to do calf raises at all (see point 2), do the standing version (or do both, but don't just do the seated version). Standing calf raises work the big gastrocnemius muscle and the smaller, underlying soleus muscle. The seated version mainly works the smaller soleus muscle (because the knee is bent, the gastroc becomes more relaxed and doesn't contribute nearly as much to the lift). Again, this is ony if you still want to do the calf raises at all.

Hope this helps!

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Some other suggestions: Instead of tricep push downs, try lying tricep extensions. More muscles worked (see video below). Also, Horse dog makes good points about the rep ranges you are in. Strength is usually defined as 3-8 range with many people doing sets of 5 when starting out. The 10-15 range can lead to hypertrophy (big lookin muscles) but not as much strength. (Big musles != strength)

Why the stiff leg version of the dead lift and not a regular deadlift? SLDL is a great assistance exercise for back and hamstring and glutes but for strength training regular old dead lift is king.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Go ahead and do 3 sets of 15 squats at any weight significantly higher than body weight. It's ok, I'll wait.

Ok, that's a little harsh. But high reps of squats SUCKS. A lot. Keep that to the 5-8 range HD suggested.

Without visiting the website, I can see that you're looking at a fairly standard bodybuilding workout. Which isn't a negative in and of itself. But you should focus on technique and strength before specializing your program. The difficulty here is that you haven't stated your goals strength and fitness wise. All we know is that you want to drop bodyfat.

Hmmm starting at 30% + BF, you could technically come at it from either end, work out wise. Low-rep strength training will give you more day to day practical abilities though. So would body weight training at your stage though.

Either way, more details on what you actually want to do besides dropping weight would help immensely.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I agree with Hyperdog's suggestion to stick to the compound movements and 5-8 reps per set. Further, since you're completely new to lifting and low on time (I read your other post), I would recommend cutting down the number of exercises to 3-5. Say, the Bench, Squat, Deadlift (regular) that HD recommended, plus chin ups if you can hack 'em or rows if you can't. This should allow you to actually learn the lifts instead of just pushing through them (Safety for the win!). On that note, here's a good resource for basic technique: http://www.gymjunkies.com/exercise-library/

Good luck!

I'd reiterate what the other guys have said, As you say this will be your first time strength training, your nervous system, muscles, joints won't be used to the work load you're putting it through.

So I'd start off doing lower reps than 10-15, max it out at 10 for the time being if you're wanting to build muscle mass quicker.(to try to prevent over working your bodies ability to recuperate after training)

If you are truly talking about strength gain, the magical 5x5(5 sets of 5 reps) or 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps) sets are good to start off with.

Cheers for joining us, and respect for being over there.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Thanks for the replies!

The initial workout was something that I found for a beginner (like me) and I was going to utilize light weights and max reps. The thought behind it was to work on my form and boost my metabolism. I also don't have a workout partner, so I was/am nervous about doing any kind of heavy lifting on my own.

The SLDL were what were suggesting by the site and not my own choosing. Ill peruse the link that Sphinx posted and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

You know, since it sounds like you've got the equipment, you might want to look at the Starting Strength or StrongLifts programs. They're pretty much what all of the posts have been describing and are suitable for beginners...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Re: light weight and lots of reps for form practice. It doesn't mean you need to do massive reps per set.

Instead of doing 3 sets of 15 reps, look at 5 or 6 sets of 5 reps with a similar weight to your 15 rep sets. Blammo, practice your form, get in similar number of reps done, less trauma to your tissue.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Ok after looking through the suggestions, I think I am looking at:

Bench press 3 sets 10-12 reps to build form (then 5 sets of 5 reps for the strength training)

shoulder press 3 sets 10-12 reps to build form (then 5 sets of 5 reps for the strength training)

squat 3 sets 10-12 reps to build form (then 5 sets of 5 reps for the strength training)

deadlift 3 sets 10-12 reps to build form (then 5 sets of 5 reps for the strength training)

dips/body rows 3 sets of 10 reps

pull-up as many as I can (currently 0-1)

I pulled the numbers from the http://www.gymjunkies.com/exercise-library/ and the first sets are going to be low weight (probably little more than just the bar until I can get the forms down). Any ideas of how to determine the weight I should use when I get ready to start doing the 5x5s?

Thanks for the input ya'll!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Another good squat routine that I started doing here in afghaniland (it really is hard as hell to get a good diet here...) is doing "55"s http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/best-cardio-workouts-youve-never-tried plus it is a pretty good cardio workout. If you cant do your bodyweight, just do whatever you can, I started out doing 135 lbs, and now do 165. I have seen mean results in my thighs and glutes from this.

As for the diet, I really want to start going somewhat paleo, but decided to wait till I get home because bagram dfac food is not good for such a diet.

With your shield, or upon it.
If you risk nothing, you gain nothing.
Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

My Epic Quest

The DFAC is difficult to do Paleo out here in Afghaniland (stuck on Bagram. Not sure where you are at), but it is doable. Thanks for the link. Ill check it out!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Nice Ja!

So someone above asked what my goals were, so let me give my starting stats and then move on to my goals:

5'7"

188 (down from 215 when I got to Bagram last June)

BMI of 29

Body fat % of 23

My short term goals are to get my BMI under 25 and my BF% around 15

Weightwise I would like to get down to about 180 but if my BF and BMI drop and I gain muscle then I am not worried too much about it.

The next 6 week challenge will likely involve the C25k program because i want to be able to run 2 miles in 16 minutes in the off change I go back into the service.

I also am trying to set the stage to start cross fit when my schedule switches in September and I can start the on ramp classes out here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Archived