Forums are back in action! ×

Latham is Out!

I went mutton busting on Monday but managed to survive. It was time to take the ram Latham out of the control group of ewes.

I missed catching Latham by the horns, they slipped out of my wet muddy gloves, but as he sailed past I managed to snag a hind leg.

Went mutton busting through the manure face first but I did manage to get him stopped, hung on, got a hand under his chin and was able to scream for help to get out of the gate. The girls did not want me to take their boyfriend away.

The bad news was that I also twisted my hip again and torqued my back a bit too.

This is why I need to improve my fitness level. It's taken me until today to recover from mutton busting and that just won't work long term.

But I did survive and he is out and now we are in the 2 week wait between rams. Backup boys go in 10 January.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

bahaha, that is a truly epic battle, Oogie. You may have not walked away unscathed, but you won! Woot!

More than most people here, you need to focus on functional strength in your workout plan. The things you do on a daily basis are definitely more strenuous than my "lift a banker's box full of paper" lifestyle.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

you need to focus on functional strength in your workout plan

Yep but not exactly sure how to do that. I know flexibility and bursty fast twitch muscle strength will help. Had I been a bit more flexible and stronger when I caught the hind leg I could have done a cool ninja type move to drag him back to get close enough to the head to catch him but I was pulled off balance, then had no strength to really muscle him back to the proper position. He weighs about 130 pounds and I only outweigh him by about 20, not much when he had 3 feet of traction compared to my none at that point.

The really frustrating thing is the minor injuries that then have me aching and painful for several days. Nothing that means I can't still move hay bales and stuff but enough to be bothersome.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Not lambs but full grown sheep, black rams with horns. Most of our boys are well behaved and will stand once caught and not drag you around the pen. Latham is a new ram we just purchased and he's wild. Mutton busting is a rodeo event for little kids who try to hang on to ride a wild range sheep for 8 seconds. Some good videos of good mutton busting on youtube. Pix of our rams on my blog and on our web site. I'm too old to go mutton busting, it hurts! ;-)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

We're working on proper guides for functional exercise, but it's taking longer than expected. Sorry about that. : (

Honestly I'd love to see you do tai chi. Hard to find classes with your location, I know, but it's excellent for muscle control, balance and dynamic flexibility. Plus, it's known to help arthritis, poor circulation, and a dozen other ailments. Have you looked into it at all?

Mutton Busting is a yearly event in my city. Funny as hell to watch. Not sure wether I feel worse for the kids or the sheep.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

Evidently this thread was closed somehow. I'm not sure why, so I opened it again. Sorry for the inconvienence.

- Seneca, 63 AD

No problem, sheep happens ;-) I've been interested in tai chi, but no one locally teaches it. The yoga place in town closed, nearest yoga studio is 10 miles away, there is a karate dojo in town but they only take kids... Last time I looked the closest gym was 75 miles away. So I've got to figure out how to do stuff here or not at all.

On the mutton busting, the kids definitely get the worst of it. Here they use range rams not ewes and they are tough.

Had another minor mutton busting episode today. Cati is one of our older ewes and she managed to get out of her coat. Fortunately once I had a crook on her neck she just stopped and let me put the coat back on. She's a very nice sheep and as soon as I had her cornered she just stopped and never fought me. Amazing what selection for good behavior does over 12 years.

I think I've just found a ranger skill I need to perfect, ability to run down a sheep in the winter corals on the first go ;-)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

If you can get close to them a short burst of speed should be enough.

I can usually get within 15 feet, but it's amazing how a fat fluffy sheep can go from on the ground to full speed in scant seconds. Thousands of years being prey will do that to you. I do think that a really fast burst of speed will work, sort of cheetah like.

What I need to do is be able to start the adrenaline rush that gives ordinary people superhuman powers on demand. I have out run sheep when I left a gate open. Sheep can see an open gate half a pasture away. I've also cleared the 5 ft fence in one bound trying to save a lamb being killed (didn't get there in time but I did manage some impressive running from the house to the corrals and a handstand leap over the fence at the end) couldn't do that now, the fence is now 8 ft tall but that's the idea.

It's the same thing that happens when someone can lift a car that is crushing a person or other superhuman feats. I'd sure like to learn how to start and stop that physical response on demand.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

That's what I'm talking about - Farm Fitness LOL my dad always scoffed at gyms and any kind of exercise routines, he would talk about getting rich folks to come do farm work, like hay hauling, for a "retreat" and charging them a whole bunch of money to do the farm work. It can make you strong, but getting strong makes you do the farm work better, like you say, Oogie. It is nice to be able to choose when to stop and start your reps, as opposed to doing a whole bunch of reps of catching sheep, or pigs LOL>

If you want to work on speed and agility, try chickens ;)

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

he would talk about getting rich folks to come do farm work, like hay hauling, for a "retreat" and charging them a whole bunch of money to do the farm work....

If you want to work on speed and agility, try chickens ;)

I actually know of a couple of farms that do that. Several places locally charge for people to come out to work on the farm for a day or a week at a time. We sort of do that, I get 2 classes of culinary students aka slave labor in twice a year to help do sheep stuff and learn where food really comes from. I usually have them work on fences at least one day. ;-)

We do have chickens. I cull heavily, most of my laying hens can be picked up and those that can't are herdable. The butcher chickens however can be extremely frustrating to try to corral at night. Fortunately they taste good or I wouldn't bother.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess