Forums are back in action! ×

Paleo Diet Question

Lefeux

For the last two days I have forsworn carbs in a effort to go more towards the Paleo diet. One question though. I am eating a larger amount of vegetables and healthy meats (that I can get here in Afghanistan) than i would normally eat in a meal with carbs. Do you get hungry quicker or kind of stay hungry when you first cut carbs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Paleo isn't about cutting out all carbs... it is about cutting out grains and sugars. Some carby veggies, like sweet potatoes, are fine. Pure starches, like white potatoes and rice, are seen as sugar by the body.

also, be sure that you get enough healthy fats... clarified butter, bacon fat, lard, beef fat, coconut oil... the fats will help to curb the cravings, provide energy, and regulate digestion. Oh, and olives, avocados, and macadamia nuts are great sources, too.

Yes, you will have a few days/week of carb cravings, until your body switches over to burning fats for energy. Eat more healthy fat, and it will adjust faster.

Good luck!

All carbohydrates are seen as sugar by the body.

Every single bit of carbohydrate is turned into glucose by the body, no matter what form it was in when you ate it. The only difference between the carbohydrates is the rate at which it takes eaten food to become glucose.

Heck even a significant fraction of dietary protein is converted into glucose in the body, and is realy no different than sugar.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I actually had a harder time eating enough the first week I went grain-free - the increase in veggie fiber, protein, and fats led me to major satiety, and I was MAJORLY undercutting my caloric needs (sometimes by 500+ calories a day). Did I crave bread/ pasta/ crusty pizza/ shortcake? Yes, like whoa. But once I gave my body a few days "off" from it, it receded a LOT (I won't lie though - it's still a struggle when a co-worker brings in bagels).

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Thanks for the input. I will continue to research the Paleo and make sure I am on a good track.

Lizifer, I am eating more proteins, fruits and veggies and still feel hungry. Is there a recalibration in the way of recommended calorie intake when doing Paleo? I was using sparkpeople and was staying around 1800 per day.

Cheers,

Lefeux

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

All carbohydrates are seen as sugar by the body.

Every single bit of carbohydrate is turned into glucose by the body, no matter what form it was in when you ate it. The only difference between the carbohydrates is the rate at which it takes eaten food to become glucose.

Heck even a significant fraction of dietary protein is converted into glucose in the body, and is realy no different than sugar.

Yup. Carbs are carbs are sugar. No difference, except the quality of food and the other parts of the food that make it healthy and/or unhealthy.

That said, I am usually hungry the first couple weeks of a carbohydrate cut.

You will be hungry, even after eating an obscene amount, after cutting carbs. That's because your body is adjusting from burning carbs for energy. Carbs are far easier to convert to energy than protein or fat, and when cutting carbs, your body isn't getting that energy spike it expects after eating, and tells you you're hungry again. It's perfectly natural.

[TABLE=width: 315]

[TABLE=width: 2]

STR:5

STA:7

AGI:6

[/TABLE]

FORTUNE

[TD=align: center]LEVEL II

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FAVORS

[/TD]

WIS:4

CON:5

CHA:3

[/TABLE]

THE BRAVE

[/TABLE]

Thanks Loren. I have noticed that and I am keeping things like fruit and beef jerkey handy (Hard to keep fresh veggies handy as I can't take it out of the chow hall and more than 1 piece of fruit and the chow hall nazis get upset.) They do offer 1 oz beef jerkey packs that I pick up 2 a day and use as my snacks through out the day. It takes some creativity out here, but not impossible.

Here is a another question. I don't drink coffee and have dropped sodas. One drink that I am really enjoying is Monsters Rehab line (lemonade and orangeade). I will probably have to cut back/cut them out eventually, but currently for 20 calories, 6 carbs and 6 grams of sugar, it seems not to be the worst that one could drink (as an aside, I drink 4-6 liters of water a day. No dairy, no sodas, no juice - the juices out here are full of sugars and packaged in a juice box). Thoughts on the Rehabs?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

You will be hungry, even after eating an obscene amount, after cutting carbs. That's because your body is adjusting from burning carbs for energy. Carbs are far easier to convert to energy than protein or fat, and when cutting carbs, your body isn't getting that energy spike it expects after eating, and tells you you're hungry again. It's perfectly natural.

BFN, Thanks for the info. Good to know. What part of Texas are you in/from? I hail from Houston myself!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Here is a another question. I don't drink coffee and have dropped sodas. One drink that I am really enjoying is Monsters Rehab line (lemonade and orangeade). I will probably have to cut back/cut them out eventually, but currently for 20 calories, 6 carbs and 6 grams of sugar, it seems not to be the worst that one could drink (as an aside, I drink 4-6 liters of water a day. No dairy, no sodas, no juice - the juices out here are full of sugars and packaged in a juice box). Thoughts on the Rehabs?

What's in them? I've never heard of them, but the name makes me a little suspicious... Kinda sounds like there'd be some sugar there. They might be okay later, but it'd be a bit counterproductive while you're trying to train your body off of easy sugars.

Almost fat-skinny. Fixing in 3, 2, 1... oooooh! Manga!

Aslagen,

Link for you http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Monster/Monster-Rehab-Energy-Drink-155-fl-oz/65073

it has roughly 6 grams of sugar. I will probably cycle down/off of them the further along I get in my Paleo Quest

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

I drink them, too. Not often, usually when I have to travel. I personally prefer the one with 20 grams of protein, but that's cause I like the taste. It's berry something, I think. They aren't too bad, as long as they aren't your sole liquid intake. Since you're drinking 4-6 liters of water a day, you should be fine.

BFN, Thanks for the info. Good to know. What part of Texas are you in/from? I hail from Houston myself!

W00T!! Another Texan! I'm from little old Abilene, but I do have family in Houston. We should do a meet-up some time! Perhaps during a Warrior Dash or something....

[TABLE=width: 315]

STR:5

STA:7

AGI:6

[/TABLE]

FORTUNE

[TD=align: center]LEVEL II

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

FAVORS

[/TD]

WIS:4

CON:5

CHA:3

[/TABLE]

THE BRAVE

[/TABLE]

BFN,

Sounds good. I actually would like to get to a point to where I can do a Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder or something. That will have to likely wait until next June. Thats likely when I come home for good. 10 months and counting.

Water is pretty much all I drink. Which is ok with me because I like the taste of a nice cold bottle of water. Actually if a go for too long w/o a drink I get thirsty. Someone mentioned diabetes, but all my blood work in that department has been good for the last 4 years so... /shrug

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

W00T!! Another Texan! I'm from little old Abilene, but I do have family in Houston. We should do a meet-up some time! Perhaps during a Warrior Dash or something....

BFN,

Sounds good. I actually would like to get to a point to where I can do a Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder or something. That will have to likely wait until next June. Thats likely when I come home for good. 10 months and counting.

I'm just going to leave this link right here for my fellow Texans. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Awesome! Good luck! I will be shooting for next year. November I will likely still be in the sand box. Should that change before November.......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Archived