Forums are back in action! ×

Crunchy Knees

Wolverine

I got 'em. Now what do I do about 'em? Anything?

My knees crunch when I do squats and lunges (any and all variants). I'm pretty sure my form is good. No pain, but it's not exactly comfortable either. This started while I was still hitting the squat rack at the gym (I'm a working out at home, bodyweight, Assassin type now). No injury that I can pinpoint.

Thoughts?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Are you warming up sufficiently? Do the sounds stop after you do a couple sets, or do they continue regardless of what you do?

"Anyone can carry his burden, however hard, until nightfall. Anyone can do his work, however hard, for one day. Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down. And this is all life really means." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

My knees crack like mofos every single time I do squats or lunges...or really any knee bending past parallel with the ground at all, even unweighted bends. I asked my doc about it and she said that, as long as there is no pain, not to worry about it. It's something called crepitus and is fairly common, especially at the knees (although it can happen at other joints, as well).

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

I have a click in my shoulders when I do big wax-on wax-off motions, but it does not hurt at all. It seems to go away, or at least is minimized, after I am well warmed up. Not sure what I can do about it, but I did notice recently that my 6 year old daughter has the same thing. Genetic anatomical defect maybe?

"Anyone can carry his burden, however hard, until nightfall. Anyone can do his work, however hard, for one day. Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down. And this is all life really means." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

Archived