Forums are back in action! ×

Is my diet okay?

Fireaxe888

This is the diet I started last month, after I began my exercise routine (I'm too lazy to count calories, sorry!)

Breakfast: Almonds and watermelon

Lunch: Meat and veggie sandwich (yes, the bread is probably a bad idea)

Dinner: Something vegetable based most of the time (light veggie stews etc. and a ton of salad). I've recently added more eggs and fish for protein.

I've nearly completely given up sugary snacks and any drink other than water (apart from social occasions).

Thing is I want to both lose weight and gain muscle. I am losing fat (I think) but suspect I'm eating a bit too little for sustained muscle growth. Then again, I've only been at it a month and look a lot better.

Your thoughts?

Pick one to focus on first and focus on it. If you want to lose fat ensure you're eating enough for your body to function properly (you'll need to pay careful attention to your body and how it responds to exercise and such). You can still gain strength during this time, but building actual muscle mass on a cut is very difficult.

Figure out where your maintenance is. This will take some trial and error, but find the amount of food where your weight holds steady. To bulk, eat a bit (not a ton) more than that.

On cuts you should be shooting for lots of protein and not as much in the way of carbs. On bulks you should be shooting for lots of protein and lots of carbs. Under both try to get adequate fats (add some olive oil to your salad or something).

In both cases you should have a solid exercise program focused on building strength and cardio.

In terms of your specific diet (full disclosure I don't eat paleo or primal or anything, so I don't have the same issues with bread and such some folks do), a lot of it depends on you. You state you're losing fat. Is your weight dropping? Are you tracking your measurements and if show are the shrinking? If no, you probably need to rethink your diet. If yes, look at how you feel throughout the day. Do you have enough energy? Do you have any issues of light-headedness? Are you having trouble with your workouts? If yes, again you probably need to rethink your diet. Since you aren't counting calories, it's hard to tell specifically if you're getting enough or whatever (my wife's stews are ~400 calories, mine are ~1000 calories).

Good luck!

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Pick one to focus on first and focus on it. If you want to lose fat ensure you're eating enough for your body to function properly (you'll need to pay careful attention to your body and how it responds to exercise and such). You can still gain strength during this time, but building actual muscle mass on a cut is very difficult.

Figure out where your maintenance is. This will take some trial and error, but find the amount of food where your weight holds steady. To bulk, eat a bit (not a ton) more than that.

On cuts you should be shooting for lots of protein and not as much in the way of carbs. On bulks you should be shooting for lots of protein and lots of carbs. Under both try to get adequate fats (add some olive oil to your salad or something).

In both cases you should have a solid exercise program focused on building strength and cardio.

In terms of your specific diet (full disclosure I don't eat paleo or primal or anything, so I don't have the same issues with bread and such some folks do), a lot of it depends on you. You state you're losing fat. Is your weight dropping? Are you tracking your measurements and if show are the shrinking? If no, you probably need to rethink your diet. If yes, look at how you feel throughout the day. Do you have enough energy? Do you have any issues of light-headedness? Are you having trouble with your workouts? If yes, again you probably need to rethink your diet. Since you aren't counting calories, it's hard to tell specifically if you're getting enough or whatever (my wife's stews are ~400 calories, mine are ~1000 calories).

Good luck!

^ That about sums it up :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

Archived