Forums are back in action! ×

Bench pressing 200 pounds seems impossible...

DoogieT

I can currently bench press 165 (60 pounds a side) and it's the heaviest I've ever been able to lift, but it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. I'm getting lots of rest between sets (and days working out), drinking my protein shake after each workout (and occasionally before going to bed) but I seem to be stuck here. I usually manage 6 reps, then 5, then 5. I'd love to be able to hit two 45 pound plates a side, but it seems so impossible now.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Should I be having more protein shakes? I use one scoop of the Optimum Whey with water after a workout...

doug

Shoryuken!

protein is likely not your problem, from what I've heard it's much more about total calories.

Also a ton more background information would be useful.

do you keep a log?(let's see it)

are you training other lifts?(how are they going)

are you dehydrated, sleep deprived, or eating lots of junk?(they effect recovery)

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Are you doing any accessory work or are you just doing straight bench press once a week. I hit a wall somewhere around there, until I started doing more accessory stuff. Spending time on incline, more dips, doing low weight-close grip bench for volume after my working weight... all these things helped my weights get up.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

What is your workout scheme for chest right now?

Here are a couple things I've done in the past that have helped me break through stalls (though I will say that the 135-185 range was absolutely brutal to get through for me, in comparison 185-225 was a piece of cake).

One option is to add more sets and reduce rest. Lets say you're trying to hit 4 sets of 10 at 165 right now, but you can only manage 4 sets of 5. Work up to 8 sets of 5 and then work on reducing the rest between those sets.

Now that you're up to a high number of reps per set, drop the reps and increase the weight accordingly. To use the previous example go from 165 to 175 and do as many reps as you can for each set, then add sets to hit your goal before progressing.

This type of strategy is much slower than a linear increase of weight, but I found it helped me get through some pretty nasty stalls in the past. Additionally I do some high rep work, and when you're doing 5 sets of 20 simply adding 5 pounds a workout isn't really an option (at least it wasn't for me).

Good luck to you, and try to focus on smaller goals, look to 170 as your next target instead of something 60 lbs away.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to jump from 165 to 200, though that would be awesome. 200 is the long term goal but it seems forever away. I'd be happy with 170 right now.

I'm *trying* to do 3 sets of 6 reps, but what happens is usually six reps, then five, then five, then I stop. I can't increase the number of reps but I *could* increase the number of sets. I could probably do 5 x 5. Should I do this? Maybe I'm not burning out my chest enough? I try to do it three times a week.

Shoryuken!

There are many ways to break through a plateau like the one you've described. It seems to me that your goal is to do 200 for 5 reps (Good for you, only competitors really need to know their one-rep max in my opinion.), so with that in mind I would suggest you use a power cycle, which is just a way to say, "back off and build up slowly to pass your goal."

First, you pick a realistic goal, say 5 lbs. more than you can do 5 reps with now. Then work backwards, 5 lbs. a week for 5 weeks.

Week 1 150x5x2

Week 2 155x5x2

Week 3 160x5x2

Week 4 165x5x2

Week 5 170x5x2

The first couple weeks will feel easy, they're supposed too! That's one of the reasons power cycles work. To reach your goal of 200 simply rinse and repeat. It will take awhile, no doubt, but the advantage of this system is that it's reliable.

Note This cycle was first published in Powerlifting USA magazine.

I am a big fan of Wendler's 5/3/1 lifting program. I do his primary recommended lifts and his triumvarate(sp?) assistance work out. followed by some intense cardio workout (rowing, double under tabatas, or sprints). I've had great results with this in my overall strength and fitness level. Also, for conveinence there is a nifty app for andriod and Iphone that help with tracking. Just search 5/3/1 and you should find it.

Thank for listening

-Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Archived