Forums are back in action! ×

How long should a good workout be?

So despite having friends doing it I got bored stiff with Zumba and returned to lifting today. I was so happy. I generally do a beginner's SS routine. So I often end up done within 30 minutes. I'll do a warm-up and a cool down as well as some stretches but that's it. I got home and my brother wondered why I left the gym so early.

Is that too short of a workout? Should I add in some more sets and/or other activities? How long is your typical workout? Thanks.

Hi, TungstenMouse! I've read on the blog/boards that 20-45 minutes is a good amount of time for a workout. Mine is about 45-60 minutes, but I also walk to the playground for part of my workout, and sometimes I have to rest for a few minutes between sets because I get too winded. I think that as long as you get done what you need to get done and you're happy with the results that you're getting, then the time doesn't matter too much.

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Starting Strength you say Tungsten.

A Good workout would be defined as the time necessary for you to complete your warmup sets + 3x5 for each exercise with minimum 60 seconds rest in between working sets (and obviously going up as you need more rest time with heavier weights).

30 mins sounds on the shorter end, but still manageable.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

As long as it takes, no longer, no shorter. 30 minutes is pretty common for a strength program, especially if you're using an old school method. In fact, I've read that strength workouts exceeding 45 minutes are detrimental due to a falling testosterone/cortisol ratio.

As a side note, I've never actually seen anyone lift heavy for an hour. Not saying it can't be done, but I would be skeptical.

I've also read that anything above 45 minutes is a waste, but I guess it all depends on how hard and well you train. I mean look at HIIT, in about 20 minutes you can do the same amount of work you do in a 60 minute workout. I reckon for SS just focus on your form and the rest will fall into place. (Note I haven't actually done SS, only read about it)

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Archived