Forums are back in action! ×

The diet starts on Monday....again

Hey everybody,

My name is Cliff and I'm here to join The Rebellion!

Where I've been:

I was happily on my way to morbid obesity with a BMI over 36 (260 pounds, 5'11") when I got tired of buying bigger jeans, again. I had been playing around in the weight room in college, even took several strength conditioning courses and thought i knew what I was doing. But you can't out train your diet, especially when you eat crap.

Long story short: joined Weight Watchers, got skinny, got married, got fat, then my wife and I rejoined, we also discovered how to train hard/effectively and we got healthy and fit. We were training for races, having fun, then we had two kids. So we are starting over, but not back at Square One. More like Oval 13.

What I bring to the table:

I have tried just about every diet out there. Some bad ones, some good ones, and ones that work. Through my own self experimentation, reading, obsessively watching Biggest loser and medical training, I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

I have also played around with most of the major strength training protocols, except for Westside. I used the Charles Atlas system for a couple of years after my back injury, so I'm quite comfortable with bodyweight exercises and isometrics, dynamic tension. I have completed several rounds of P90X, one round of P90X2 and one round of Insanity (though I did not get the T-shirt). I have really enjoyed Crossfit and generic knock offs thereof.

I have completed a half marathon, but just barely and I'm in no shape to try again any time soon.

My Goals:

I want to get my body weight back to 180-185. I want to master the kettlebell, not just play around with it from time to time.

I have a series of races I want to complete: half marathon, marathon, then start doing triathlons. I also enjoy adventure/mud races. I did one two years ago and loved it, even though it kicked my butt. (and that was back when I was in shape. )

There are other goals: 100 consecutive pushups, 15 pullups ( I completed my lifetime goal of 10 three years ago!), stuff like that. That's bucket list stuff. I'm thinking of linking the races to my leveling up. The kettelbell "mastery" as well, but that's hard to define. Suggestions welcome.

All this while staying gainfully employed, being a good husband and good father to my kids who are 2.5 years and 6 weeks old as of now.

That's the biggest hurdle.

I'l start my workouts again Monday, start tracking my food again as well. The baby is sleeping a little bit more, so we can start to ease out of survival mode and start towards progress again. I'll track my workouts here, so feel free to drop by and yell at me to do more.

Glad to be here.

Excelsior!

Cliff

All Too Human Ranger, lvl 2

Excelsior! lol, love it! :) Welcome dude, I too just joined and this community seems like it's going to help a lot with accountability. Sounds like you're in a good, positive place looking towards the future - stay pumped man :)

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Vacation ends tonight.

And yes, you can exercise on vacation, even a family vacation, even when you have kids. Yes, I've done that before.

Never with two kids, one off whom is still being nursed, but I'm sure its possible.

And I'll learn how, that's part of the journey, part of the adventure.

Thanks for the welcome!

Cliff

Athena,

Nice to meet you.

I did body weight exercises for years, and am a huge fan.

But I have some kettlebells sitting around that i got as Christmas gifts years ago, and really have never used them all that much. Every once in awhile, butno consistency. Partly because they are hard, partly because I get distracted and do something else. So I'm going to make a go of them.

As to diet, I still have the Weight watchers points bouncing around in my head, so they influence me. I will start tracking again if I'm still plateaued in a couple of weeks. I have vegetarian/vegan leanings, but I've tried Paleo. Maybe I'm a Pollanist, as I think his Food Rules make the most sense:

1. Eat Food

2. Mostly Plants

3. Some Meat

Thanks again,

Cliff

As to diet, I still have the Weight watchers points bouncing around in my head, so they influence me. I will start tracking again if I'm still plateaued in a couple of weeks.

I'm in the same boat here - they're so ingrained in me, that its going to be hard to put them by the wayside. I'm going to try not tracking as well - I think the couple of weeks is a good point. I'd be curious to see how it goes for you, as I'm in a sort of similar position. Good luck!

Archived