Forums are back in action! ×

Going to southern California

I live in Ohio right now, but I'm visiting my dad in Anaheim, California, and I'm actually considering moving out there with him. I haven't really been to California since I was a -very- little kid, so I'm not really sure what to expect, and since I don't know the area, I'm having trouble trying to plan out my visit there as to what to see and where to go, etc. I'd honestly love any suggestions I can get, as well as opinion, etc.

And if it helps at all for suggestions, I'm really into the following stuff, and would love to get to see some of it in California

LGBT stuff

Steam punk

Gaming

fitness(not my strong suit, but I like)

food(vague, I know.. but the part of Ohio I live in is rather limited. I'd like to go out there and get to try new things. I'm especially interested in Italian, Mexican, Asian, and Indian quinine. )

victorian gothic style/fashion

tea(I like tea. I like teahouses, they are amazing.)

So yeah.. I'd love to get some help here, opinions, suggestions, etc. Any help would be amazing. :victorious:

Former southern Californian here (Orange County, 20 years).

Gaming: what kind? card? tabletop? video?

Fitness: huge part of the culture there. Crossfit's gotten really big in the last 5 years or so. You can also find a crapton of yoga studios, and marathoning is pretty popular too.

Food: It's ok, not great. 90% of food in SoCal is chain restaurants. You won't find much good Indian, but you'll find great Mexican and Asian (Japanese specifically). My favorite restaurants are Guelaguetza (Oaxacan, I believe there are a few locations but I've only been to the olympic blvd one) and Amorelia Cafe in Costa Mesa. Seriously. Get the mole at both.

You also might generally find cultural stuff along the lines or your interests at the Lab and the Camp (malls). Keep in mind that SoCal is basically not walking friendly and you have to drive forever to get anywhere. Also, cultural stuff, like music, art, etc will require hoofing it either to LA (fine arts) or the valley (subculture/pop arts), both a cool couple hours from Anaheim.

Also check out Huntington Beach. It's pretty nice. A big Corona beach is fantastic if you can make it there on a weekday when it's sleepier.

Someone who's lived there more recently might have some better ideas. I moved away 6 years ago and go back just a few times a year now.

Archived