Forums are back in action! ×

Aerobic or Anaerobic

Just read the post today from Steve. Am I missing something?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

"Walking burns fat. *Because walking is low impact and low intensity, your body doesn’t need to pull from its glycogen and glucose stores to fuel itself, which happens when you strength train or push yourself into ‘aerobic’ training with higher intensity cardio. *Proponents of intermittent fasting*suggest walking in a fasted state in the morning before eating anything in order to help burn extra fat. *This will have to be something you attempt and measure for yourself."

Did he mean anaerobic? You push to anaerobic which burns glycogen and glucose, right? Or am I confusing myself? I didn't want to call him out in the comments. I am also jot 100% sure there is a mistake!

Glucose can be burned aerobicaly or anaerobically.

I don't know if it produces more energy aerobically than fat, but the body will try to hang on to its glucose while exercising if it can. Everything that applies to walking also applies to jogging, the body will pretty quickly switch over to burning almost 100% fat for energy, the more you do it the faster the switch occurs.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Our body likes to burn fat. At rest, our body gets approx. 60% of its energy from Free Fatty acids. Once we begin to walk, or exercise at a moderate intensity our body starts to burn our Intra-Muscular Triglycerides (fancy word for fat in our muscles). However, as our intensity increases our body turns more and more to our glucose for energy. At max, or near max aerobic output our body is burning mostly glucose for its energy.

Fat has more energy per gram than glucose (Carbs) does, so why do we start to burn more glucose as we intensify our workouts? Its all about fuel efficiency. It takes more oxygen to convert fat into energy than it does carbs. At a high aerobic output, our body wants to use a lot of oxygen for various reasons. The less oxygen our body has to use on energy conversion, the more it can use for other purposes.

So in short: High energy/intensity/aerobic workout = more glucose burnt and less fat, Moderate intensity = more fat burn.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LVL 2 MartianWarrior

STR 9/DEX 2/ STAM 3.75/ CON 3/ WIS 6/ CHA 3

"Fads come and go, but the barbell remains the same. Respect it accordingly." - Jim Wendler

"When I want to be a super hero, I just wake up" - Childish Gambino

Yes. It's about percentages. When you are burning more glycogen for fuel (thus creating lactate which accounts for soreness post anaerobic workout from high intensity cardio and weight lifting) you have crossed into anaerobic burn. But when you are below that percentage threshold, you are still in what is considered aerobic burn (burning glucose and glycogen, but a higher percentage of fat compared to anaerobic).

He says, "your body doesn't need to pull from its glycogen and glucose stores...which happens when you... push yourself into 'aerobic' training..." he mean anaerobic, right?

Higher intensity cardio is anaerobic, not aerobic... Right?

Archived