Forums are back in action! ×

Science Nerd trying to get strong!

Hi all!

My name's Ola, and I've finally decided to get really serious about working out. Entering college, I was 5'7" and 111lbs - I left at 5'7.5" and almost 135 (ouch!). I never worked out - I "never had the time." I stress-ate (thanks, Columbia U) constantly.

Last year, I joined a gym, and I really enjoyed a few of the classes - "Hot Yoga Dance Party" (yoga combined with a crap tonne of push-ups, etc) and a few weight/cardio/ab classes. I loved them because they made me push myself enough to feel like I was doing something. That being said, I realized that I would still let myself slack, because I didn't have a goal in mind - it was just about getting to the gym and burning off a few calories. I'd do 1.5-2hrs of classes, and sweat like heck, but not feel really sore the next morning. I loathe burpees and mountain climbers, so I'd go easy on myself when it came time for that in the class; I never made myself push past "knee pushups" to proper ones, etc. Currently, I'm the same height (obviously), and hovering around 125lbs. I've got some definition, but not much. I've gotten stronger, but not really.

Enter the Tough Mudder.

One of my sorority sisters posted that she was doing one at the end of July. I was intrigued. After seeing what it was: Jeebus, how I wanted to actually do one! But I knew I wasn't strong enough, and the response I got from my friends when I said I wanted to do one - basically, everyone was utterly flabbergasted - proved that I definitely wasn't. I'd never been active.

So, of course, I want to prove them all wrong - including myself. I've never been strong, I've never been athletic, but damn it, I want to be!

Recently, I decided to start following the program proposed in The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm also trying to run regularly (my first-ever outside run covered 3.6 miles in just over 30 minutes!), and I'll be signing up for katana classes when I move down to NYC for my grad program. I'm determined to not let Columbia get to my waistline the second time 'round!

My biggest challenges are going to be not letting myself get into my own head (I'm absolutely terrified of failure), not listening to my mother (who could drive anyone to feeling like an utter failure in three days tops :P) and trying to eat better. I'm thinking of doing a modified Paleo diet - I eat not just for stress, but because I LOVE food - I love cooking! I'm still nmaking excuses to myself as to why I shouldn't go on the Paleo diet, so I'm going to try to implement the exercise first and eat *healthier*, and then work on changing to Paleo if I feel I need to. Right now, the idea of giving up pierogi and fresh bread is making me hyperventilate :P Also, I'm dangerously addicted to Kernels Popcorn. :pig:

Anyway, that might be far too long an intro... if you read this far, congrats on paying attention to my ADD-ness! See you around the boards!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Hi! I just joined too. =) Best of luck to you! Yay for Nerd Fitness!

My plan for the next year (July 23, 2012-July 23, 2013):

I am walking to Mordor! I have walked 12.33 miles out of 1779.

I am doing Convict Conditioning.

I am eat primally.

I am not weighing myself for a year.

Starting weight: 223

Current weight: ??

Goal weight: 145

Welcome and good luck! Just stick to it and it will work out and youll get used to it all. I was a really bad chocolate eater, loved chocolate and even thought i wouldnt be able to give it up...thats until this March. I gave it up and stuck to it and now i dont even crave it at all. The body gets used to it after a while but i do have to admit, i do eat chocolatey sweets or a cake once in a while too, not when im seriously following a regime but on the days i relax and let my body rest. Is that bad? lol

Honestly, I think the biggest thing is to find balance, RC86. If chocolate makes you happy - well, don't guzzle pounds of it, but it can be a nice treat if you keep it minimal!! Popcorn will DEFINITELY be that treat for me -- I'm absolutely obsessed, but I really need to cut down (also, I must switch from the Orville bagged kind to the pop-it-yourself-on-the-stove, regular kernels kind.

And hi there, Mshathvri! That is the only time I will ever type your username out in full. :P You shall now be known as Vri to me. >.>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Welcome to the forum conskee, that tough mudder challenge looks amazing! *sparkly eyes*

You can totally do it! It's a brilliant goal, you obviously need to achieve a level of fitness but you have a finite date as well :) Good luck!

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Thanks guys!! I'm so excited to start. Definitely had a "wtf am I thinking" moment yesterday during my run, but I finished four miles and I felt SO good afterwards, so I expect I won't get permanently discouraged :tongue:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Hey Baloo,

I'm a little scared to do full paleo, but I've started modifying my diet to be paleo-esque - I've cut down bread and grains a LOT, and I only use milk in my coffee (minimally) and in protein shakes i make. I figure I'm going to take it easy for now - eat paleo when I can, not freak out otherwise. Im in a big transition period now (last few weeks with fam before moving away for a PhD) so I'm a little nervous about trying to do too much too soon and just screwing myself over with that :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Oh, Brendan.. it's YOU.

:P Just saw you post above me in another thread - was trying to figure out where to stalk you and creepily post! You beat me to it :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Archived