Forums are back in action! ×

De-Lurk of a Rocket Scientist

Dear NF friends,

my name is Thorsten, but you may call me Thor :tranquil:

After joining the NF community here in September of 2011, I have decided that it is time for me to de-lurk and identify myself as a Fitness Rebel fighting for the cause of a better and healthier life.

This rebel is stationed overseas in Germany. Prost!

I am a happily divorced 48 yo father of two beautiful girls. I am actually a real "rocket scientist" having studied aerospace engineering here in Germany. I spent some time in Princeton, NJ during my masters thesis - all of which gives me enough nerd cred - right ?! :-)

Back in the day I used to be a gymnast and handball-player. At 16 I started smoking, and "enjoyed" a pack-a-day habit until a year ago.

After the usual gathering of body fat during marriage and child raising, I quit smoking 14 months ago. That, together with a post divorce weight gain put me into a body which I did not feel good in anymore. On the one hand, I was so happy that I had finally managed to quit smoking after 30+ years (... and that did a lot of damage), on the other hand I knew it was time to do even more.

The time to level up my life had arrived.

Enter NerdFitness in September of 2011. Thankfully.

I am 1,77m (5ft,9.5in) tall, so the first goal I set for myself was to weigh 73kg(160lb) (from 80kg (176lb)) by April '12 (nailed that one) and participate in our town's annual 10k run. I ran that race last Sunday, running in a personal new record time of 53:54(53:54). Not very impressive to real hard-core runners, but I am SO happy since I couldn't run more than about 2k last September.

What does not kill you only makes you stronger. (As a famous Austrian once said :-)

I am looking forward to continuing this fitness adventure with all of you happy and inspired people here.

Cheers,

Thor

P.S.:

I was a nerd, when that was considered to be uncool.

I was a trekkie, when that was considerered to be waaay scary.

[table=width: 500, class: outer_border]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thorsten

Space Wizard and Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2

CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Level 1

Introduction

Battle Log

Current Challenge

[/table]

It sounds like you took Spock's advice literally, live long and prosper! Congrats on quitting smoking after such a long time and another congrats on the running milestone. It sounds like you are already in full swing :) Keep up the good momentum!

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Congratulations on running the race and for quitting smoking! I think your time is phenomenal. I'm not a runner, the 5k I ran early this year was in 47 minutes, so you did twice the distance in just a little more time....awesome! :encouragement:

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

I'll need to get on calculating the specifics to build the rocket. Did you know the specific impulse of a rocket has a dimention of (seconds). How friggin' wierd is that ??

@ chelyst : The time is not important. Doing the miles/km is. The time will be gettin better all by itself. I adhere to Steve's running guide (with some personal changes).

By FAR, the best thing I've done is quitting smoking last May. I can smell nature again, it makes sense to run and exercise again, and I am finally free of that damn addiction.

Big woot on that :-)

@Sir Earl : you are right - damn hard to beat - but SO worth the battle. The win is epic :-)

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks !

Thorsten

[table=width: 500, class: outer_border]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thorsten

Space Wizard and Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2

CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Level 1

Introduction

Battle Log

Current Challenge