Forums are back in action! ×

I want to climb Fuji-san! (Mount Fuji, Japan)

Canuckssie

In 2006, I traveled to Japan and I got to do and see so much except for one thing. Mount Fuji. My friend and I tried to get there to hike it but we were told that it was closed until July 1st. Not too sure if that was really true or if there was a miscommunication or what.

But if you have climbed Mount Fuji, please tell me how you got there and what was it like?

Thanks!

If you are going from Tokyo, take the Chuo line (orange) from Tokyo Station all the way to Takao. Then switch trains and go to Ootsuki. Then take the Fujikyuu railway to Fuji Station. From there you need to take a bus up to the 5th station on Mount Fuji (2000 yen return ticket for the bus).

I just climbed Mount Fuji last Saturday (the 21st) and I'm still recovering. It took me 12 hours to get to the top and 5 hours to get back down. Here is a link to my journal where I posted about it.

http://ameshinju.livejournal.com/

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | CON: 3 | STA: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

"We are only undefeated because we have gone on trying" - T.S. Eliot

Hi Frellnik,

Thanks for the link. I read your entry and WOW! I'm so jealous! I'm thinking back on the day my friend and I tried to go Fuji and I know we weren't THAT prepared and must have looked it so they told us it was closed to keep us from going and getting hurt :P

Any advice on how to avoid the altitude sickness? I remember hiking the Rockies when I was 16 and I got it. Horrible it is and it's not something I'd want to suffer while tackling Fuji.

I am pretty sure that Fuji is closed until the first or second week of July. It's just too cold to climb before that. There is still snow at the top and when I went it was about 3C at the top and very windy.

Mid July and August is the best time to go.

To avoid altitude sickness there are a few things you can try. The biggest is to go slow. If you go too fast then you can't get used to the altitude. You can also buy O2 tablets and O2 in a can at the shops at station 5. a can of O2 is about 1500 yen and the tablets were 1200 yen (I think). Also bring or buy a walking stick, it will help a lot!

Part of why it took me so long to climb is that I'm really out of shape! I am about 210 pounds and lazy as hell :P I've just started working out to try and get in better shape and Fuji was a HUGE undertaking. I'm hoping that if I lose some weight and get in better shape that next time I will be able to climb it in less time and not have such a hard time aftwe wards :) My friend who had to stop at 8th station because of altitude sickness did make it to the top last year, but she needed help the last 100 or so metres. So I guess just go slow, stop and breath often. Don't push yourself too hard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No you don't. Japanese saying, "Only a fool climbs Fujisan twice." It's ugly. It's not a great climb. Everyone gets to the top and says it's not worth it.

There's so much to see around there, why go to the top? The hot springs are fun, I have some gorgeous pottery from there. The ash is used to get some rainbow effects. Boat across Crater lake. Gondola ride to the boat. Waterfalls. So much natural beauty.

Personally, I climbed it for the challenge :) The view from the top isn't great, but the feeling of achievement is amazing. Everyone who climbed it last year said it takes about 9 hours, but it took me 12. So I want to try again and see if I can make it to the top faster than last time. It's the challenge that I like. I've got 3 more years in Japan, so I have lots of time to see everything :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived