Forums are back in action! ×

Gotta get back on the horse...

Hi All,

I just signed up today after reading articles on the site the last few days. I find it enjoyable and informative.

I have been an athlete most of my life but since kids and all the other things that come with getting older - just hit the big 4-0 :dispirited: -

I have stopped working out... I still play sports but obviously my performance has waned over the years...

So I am really trying to get back into working out, mostly at home and I have noticed that pain is a major factor for me now. I work at a computer all day and have had neck/shoulder issues for years and I also have a lot of pain in my wrists when working out now. Pushups are very painful on my wrists... However, I really want to get stronger and pushups, pullups, etc are exercises that I want to do at home, so I am looking for some advice or tips on how to overcome these issues? Maybe some alternative exercises to strengthen the neck and wrists, etc?

Thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter! I have no wisdom to offer you, but HI! It's nice to meet you. =)

My plan for the next year (July 23, 2012-July 23, 2013):

I am walking to Mordor! I have walked 12.33 miles out of 1779.

I am doing Convict Conditioning.

I am eat primally.

I am not weighing myself for a year.

Starting weight: 223

Current weight: ??

Goal weight: 145

Have you considered using wrist wraps? Personally I've noticed some wrist pain when I'm at my computer, so I've started using wrist wraps (I bought them for Muay Thai) when at my computer and the pain has gone away. Alternate options would be things like tensor bandages.

This too, shall pass.

Have you considered using wrist wraps? Personally I've noticed some wrist pain when I'm at my computer, so I've started using wrist wraps (I bought them for Muay Thai) when at my computer and the pain has gone away. Alternate options would be things like tensor bandages.

I really only notice it in my wrists when working out, and doing specific exercises like pushups. I am going to get some wraps and try it to see if that helps... I have used small dumbbells as a "grip" and done pushups that way in the past, and it actually helps, but I guess I am just trying to figure out how to get past rhe "injuries" and just work out without worry...

Hey Peter,

welcome to the rebellion :-)

As one old man to another - listen to your body. If it hurts, do something else until it stops hurting. Then do it again, until it starts hurting again :-) Then stop.

When I started getting back into some form of shape I had lots of hurts in my elbow when doing pullups. So I stopped those for a few days, sometimes a week or more.

There are SO many alternate things to do to work around a muscle group for a bit until it is free of pain.

Right now, I am at 12 pullups, but it took severeal months to finally be pain free. But it is such a good feeling :-)

What i am trying to say is : LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. It knows best :-)

Rock on !!

:-)

Thorsten

[table=width: 500, class: outer_border]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thorsten

Space Wizard and Ranger

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2

CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Level 1

Introduction

Battle Log

Current Challenge

[/table]

Welcome to the forums, PeterMan! I'm no doctor or chiropractor (have you seen either one yet about your wrist pain?), but these are some stretches I do that have helped my carpal tunnel pain.

is also very interesting. It's a little deep with a lot of technical jargon I don't always understand, but he does get to the point and the "right" exercises halfway through and at the end. I added the 2 exercises into my routine last week to see if it helps. Jury's still out, too soon to tell.

Honestly, one thing that also helped me was doing push-ups, sometimes on my palms, sometimes on my knuckles. I suspect my forearms were weak, and I believe that push-ups helped my forearms get a little stronger. Then again, I don't know how bad your pain is, and Thor's advice is true also. I'd check with a doctor or chiropractor, maybe try some stretches, ice and rest, and listen to your body. I hope you get past this pain very soon :)

Current inspiration for my journey: Prov. 14:23

All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Archived