Forums are back in action! ×

Recovering from rotator cuff surgery!!

M.Leake

I'm trying to get back into shape after a rotator cuff surgery and a gain of 20 lb. I'm about 50-60%, so most upper body exercises are out. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a simple routine to work on my metcon? As of now I am doing what I can. Here is the circuit I am doing, 3 times a week 3 rounds , 5 min. recumbent bike or 3 min. jump rope, 30 sit ups, 12 squats or lunges or jump squats (light weight dumb bells), 25 dumb bell curls (light weight). On off days I'll either jump rope 20 min. or do a preset routine on my recumbent lasting 25 min. and walk an hour every other day. I know this is a specialty question but I figure I could get some outside input.

Well, I managed to do something to my shoulder a couple months ago (not bad enough to need surgery) and needed to take a little while off of upper body work as well. Your routine looks good. I'd say see about working into pistol squats to increase difficulty, as well as trying weighted sit-ups for the same reason. If you want to speed it up, I'd look at swapping out the bike for sprinting (or "sprint" on the bike) for 12-15 seconds at as close to 100% as you can do.

You could also add these exercises if you want a little variety:

Flutter Kicks

Hip-ups

Planks (for me, this was fine, it was just once I started doing a push-up that it hurt)

Russian Twist

Leg-Lifts

For upper body, I'd stick with whatever your PT gave you/has OK'd, and then just plan on needing to work back up to it after you've healed.

Thanks for the input I'll incoperate some of those into it for sure. As for running it's still a no go so far, I'd love to be able to get out and run a few miles a week. It's amazing how that part of your body is seemingly connected to everything.

Archived