Forums are back in action! ×

Mt. Fuji!

Frellnik

Saturday the 21st, I went to Mount Fuji with some friends. I climbed all the way to the summit!! :victorious: It took me 12 hours to get to the top, and then 5 hours to get back down again. I've been home for 3 days and I am still having trouble walking, but it was absolutely amazing! The feeling of triumph when I got to the top (or maybe that was just relief that I didn't have to climb anymore) was exhilarating and it didn't really feel like 12 hours. I am really proud of myself for not giving up and making it to the top.

Now I'm going to train for the next year and work on stairs (Fuji has a lot of stairs of all different heights) and I'm hoping that next time I climb Fuji (because, yeah, I think I am going to do it again) I hope to make it up in less than 10 hours.

Anyone want to climb Fuji next year?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Half-Elf Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | CON: 3 | STA: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2

"We are only undefeated because we have gone on trying" - T.S. Eliot

Thanks :) If you get back to Japan in the next 3 years, I'll be here :) Being able to say that "I climbed Mount Fuji" was one of the big reasons that I did it too! That, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Saturday the 21st, I went to Mount Fuji with some friends. I climbed all the way to the summit!! :victorious: It took me 12 hours to get to the top, and then 5 hours to get back down again. I've been home for 3 days and I am still having trouble walking, but it was absolutely amazing! The feeling of triumph when I got to the top (or maybe that was just relief that I didn't have to climb anymore) was exhilarating and it didn't really feel like 12 hours. I am really proud of myself for not giving up and making it to the top.

Now I'm going to train for the next year and work on stairs (Fuji has a lot of stairs of all different heights) and I'm hoping that next time I climb Fuji (because, yeah, I think I am going to do it again) I hope to make it up in less than 10 hours.

Anyone want to climb Fuji next year?

I climbed Fuji in 2010 and 2011; Not in Japan to do it this year, sadly. Went with a few friends/co-workers - myself and a couple others actually made it to the top in a little under 4 hours last year - through we might have taken a different/shorter trail from you. Regarding the soreness, the best thing to do is keep moving(slowly) the next day. I did that in 2010 and was totally fine. In 2011 I had to hop on a plane back to the USA the next morning - the net result was barely being able to walk for 5 days.

There are actually 4(I think?) different trails up the mountain with different lengths and difficulties - we took different trails from 2010 and 2011. At least one of them(the northern one I think) has a nice base camp with shops, restaurants, etc - to start/end at. I'd suggest considering a different trail next year to see a different side of the mountain.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Regarding the soreness, the best thing to do is keep moving(slowly) the next day. I did that in 2010 and was totally fine. In 2011 I had to hop on a plane back to the USA the next morning - the net result was barely being able to walk for 5 days.

There are actually 4(I think?) different trails up the mountain with different lengths and difficulties - we took different trails from 2010 and 2011. At least one of them(the northern one I think) has a nice base camp with shops, restaurants, etc - to start/end at. I'd suggest considering a different trail next year to see a different side of the mountain.

Yeah, I climbed up during the night so we could watch the sun rise from the top and we climbed down Sunday and arrived back at 5th station around noon. Then I travelled 8 hours to get back to Iwaki (1 bus and 6 trains). So not much moving around was done. By Monday morning I could hardly stand lol.

We took the Yoshida trail. It's the most direct route from where I live. Next time I'll see if we can do a different trail. I was told that most people can climb that trail in about 8 or 9 hours. I was very slow. Despite going that slow we still lost one of our friends at the 8th station to altitude sickness. I was quite pleased not to have had any problems. Hopefully that will hold true for next time too :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived