Forums are back in action! ×

First Triathlon (sprint) And I didn't drag ass!

shenanigains

Guys,

I got an email yesterday that my university was going to do a sprint triathlon to commemorate the Olympics. I am not an endurance guy by any means, but I take a swim class 2x a week and usually run 5k a week (I run whatever C25k sequence my fiance is on when she visits) for the past 2 months and never bike. The race was 400m swim, 5 mile bike, 1.5 mile run.

400m swim : 10:24

5 mile bike: 9:38

1.5 mile run: 12:43

Total time: 32.75 mins

What I mean by not dragging ass is that I did the swim non-stop (3 weeks ago in swim class we did the Cooper's 12 min swim and I only made it 300 yards in 12 mins), pedaled non-stop on the bike, and the biggest surprise of all is I ran 1.5 miles with no walking (in 5fingers just for Dawsy). I even had enough in the tank to sprint the last lap (12 total laps). If anyone has any input as to what respectable times are for these thing or each individual leg I would be grateful. I will also post this in scoutland so I can get feedback from those guys. So long story short: Finisher's w00t! and Free T-Shirt w00t!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.

You did roughly half of a sprint triathlon. Since you ask, one hour is very respectable (though not winning) for a sprint tri, so 33 minutes for half that distance is pretty decent, but not spectacular. (I probably would've come in a ways behind you, I'm quite slow, especially on the swim.)

It looks like your run time was roughly an 8:30 mile pace, which is not even slightly fast, but not snail slow either. (You probably would've gone faster had you run in a straight line instead of round and round a track, so don't feel too bad.) I dunno about bike and swim times and I'm too lazy to look those up right now, but google "triathlon race results splits" and you should find some race results to get your numbers fix. (A "split" is the time it took you to do one event, so your "run split" was 12:43, etc.) Your bike speed was a bit less than 2 minutes/mile, which means you were booking along at better than 30 mph, which is not bad!

Wear that shiny new shirt with pride! I hope you had a good time and you're eager for more. Congrats on finishing your first triathlon without dragging ass. ;)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived