Forums are back in action! ×

I think I am going to faint

I am eighteen years old and I am not a licensed driver. Why? Because of the drivers test.

Not because I failed it, but because the mere thought of it paralyzes me with fear. I didn't even get my permit until I was almost seventeen because even the permit test scared the crap out of me.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and I have my test scheduled August 2nd. I am terrified.

Have any advice/stories/whatever? I feel like fainting.

Failed first time here too. Didn't see a car and pulled out in front of him. For 2 weeks I was legal to park and not drive. And this for someone who started driving tractors and such on the farm around age 10.

Our daughter sounds similar to you. Got her license at 18, but didn't like to drive. Went in the Navy. After a couple stints at the helm of the USS Nassau (about 900'), she came back and eventually became an over the road truck driver for a couple years.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I failed the first time too. I waited until I went off to college to finally take the test again. I just hated driving (still do, actually). I think that it is good to have a healthy dose of fear behind the wheel (better than most, who think they are invincible), but letting it paralyze you isn't good either. The more you drive, the easier it will get.

My driving instructor drilled it into me that right before you pull out you should peer over your shoulder onto the road. He said all of the test graders check for that. I'd say just stick to your drills, drive more, and have some fun. If you have a smartphone there's an app that makes a game out of driving places by placing points along the way. I'll have to look it up because I don't have it.

Rurounii
Level 5 Half Elf/Half Saiyan Ranger
STR: 12 DEX: 5 STA: 20 CON: 11 WIS: 12 CHA: 7.5
Current Challenge: Challenge 4: Back on Track to Super Saiyan!

I failed the written part of my test. I never studied all the drinking laws because I kind of figured there was a "I don't drink" answer available :D Got hit by a bunch of alcohol questions at the very end of the test and failed. Other than that I got near perfect. Just go for it, you'll be fine.

Practice as much as you can, i don't know what its like in the States but we need minimum 120 hrs on our Learners here to get a provisional license.

If you can afford it, a couple of sessions with a driver instructor should boost your confidence and give you some tips you aren't aware of yet.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

A lot of people fail their first driving test. My brother did. I didn't, but I was more careful and I also chose a different DOL office. You should have at least 20 hours behind the wheel (including night driving) and pass a driver's ed course before you take the test, but if you don't, oh well ... worst case scenario, you fail the test and have to pay to take it again. The more you practice, the easier the test is going to be. If you'd been driving daily for a few months, the test would be a breeze.

Be sure to obey the speed limits, make full stops, and USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL. (And breathe. It's hard to drive if you pass out from lack of oxygen ;) )

Other suggestions: Go for a walk first to clear your head. Adjust your seat and mirrors before you go to the DOL office; when you get into the car with the tester, take a moment to check them again and get comfortable. It doesn't hurt to make sure the car is clean and free of litter before test day. Any items rolling around in the passenger cabin can be distracting, and they sure won't impress the tester either. You probably won't need headlights, cruise control, or windshield wipers for the test, but you should know where these controls are and be comfortable using them without looking. Don't make small talk with the tester, just obey instructions. And wear your seat belt (duh).

For at least the first six months when you're driving, don't do anything but drive. Most accidents happen because a driver was distracted or intoxicated. Keep both hands, both eyes, and your brain on the task at hand; remember you are driving a big heavy machine at high speed! Do not handle your smartphone or take calls for ANY reason while the car is moving. Don't fiddle with the stereo, climate controls, or the mirrors while the car is moving. This includes parking lots. If you need to make adjustments after you've started the trip, signal and pull over first. If you're a new driver, don't talk to passengers unless you're on a clear highway with no obstacles. Do these things and your chances of accidentally killing someone are drastically reduced.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I waited until I was 20 to take my test. Failed the first time because I stopped at a stop sign where everybody always stops instead of where the book says to stop. (Make sure you leave PLENTY of space for the sidewalk.)

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

I have some very weird advice. When you drive a car, you are extending yourself, your will, into a 1,200+ lbs finely engineered machine (just like when you exercise you are extending your will into or against something, for example, you exert your will against gravity when doing a pull-up, and extend your will into a weapon if you practice martial arts with a weapon). How aware are you of your surroundings, right now? Do you ever consciously think about what is in your peripheral vision without looking? How your butt feels against your computer chair? If you don't, start doing that. Work at being aware of your body, and then when you get into the car, consider the car to be part of your body. Even if you aren't driving. Get used to feeling the car. The sound the engine makes when you accelerate. The sound of the tires against wet and dry pavement. Feeling how far back the tailgate goes. Where the car is in the lane. Where the tires are relative to your perspective on the road. Basically: use all six of your senses (1. I count spatial-awareness as a sense, 2. Your nose can tell you if something is wrong with the fuel mix, oil, or any plastic coverings in the engine or electrical). And don't forget to wax on, wax off (caring for the clear coat is basic car maintenance!).

The driving skills portion of the test is partially about actual driving ability, partially about your knowledge of the laws of the road, and, cynically, partially about your ability to metaphorically jump through hoops. I passed my driving test first time, but nearly failed because of the number of times I didn't touch my chin to my shoulder when head-checking the crossing traffic (seriously!).

You've got some great advice, so I wont repeat them. I just wanted to say good luck!

And you won't faint. You might feel like you will, but you won't. For reals. You might be shaky and terrified, but people do not faint for things like this unless they really do faint a lot in ordinary life. It's totally okay to feel like you will, but when you get the feeling you will (like in, "I'm so scared I think I might faint" rather than "OMG everything is turning black and I'm going down in this deep hole in two seconds....") remember that you won't. Fear is very unpleasant, but it isn't dangerous and you can still function while being scared. And once it is done, whatever the result, pat yourself on the back for being so brave and strong that you could do it!

And even if this isn't anything like panic attacks, something in you post makes me think that you might have the "fear for fear" that is common for people that do have panic attacks. If it is so, and you want to prepare yourself for being in a scary situation, you can read up on panic attacks and see if there is any advice that can be applicable to you. :)

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

A great place to practice driving is in a cemetery! I had to practice with the family Chevy Astro. I kid you not I couldn't see over the back seats. I'm an excellent driver now, never been in an accident and I always make good time (heh, I've got a lead foot I'll admit).

"Strength without determination means nothing...determination without strength is equally useless!" -Godo, FFVII

NF Academy Profile  :pirate:

And even if this isn't anything like panic attacks, something in you post makes me think that you might have the "fear for fear" that is common for people that do have panic attacks. If it is so, and you want to prepare yourself for being in a scary situation, you can read up on panic attacks and see if there is any advice that can be applicable to you. :)

You're actually quite close - I have pretty severe anxiety (never actually had a panic attack, but I've gotten close), and usually it's over things that *aren't* directly putting my life and the lives of others around me in danger. This is much worse.

A huge part of why I'm so terrified is not just of the test itself, but because I really don't feel ready to drive on my own. I've never taken driver's ed (honestly the idea scares me to death... sigh), and I've probably gotten no more than 10 hours behind the wheel's experience. My parents (especially my mom) are convinced that I'm ready, even though I still shake and my mouth goes dry every time I drive.

I know *how* to drive, and I know the rules of the road. I'm an adequate driver, but I just really don't feel comfortable behind the wheel at all. I feel like I need another summer's worth of practice (it's not like I'll need or have a car my first year in college anyway - woo for the bus!), and perhaps with another year I'll be ready to take the test.

The problem is that I can't convince my parents that I'm not ready. They're so intent on me getting my license this summer (even though they will almost never take me driving).

Thanks so much for the advice, guys. If I can't get my parents to let me cancel and take it next year, hopefully I at least won't kill the examiner? :)

You're actually quite close - I have pretty severe anxiety (never actually had a panic attack, but I've gotten close), and usually it's over things that *aren't* directly putting my life and the lives of others around me in danger. This is much worse.

A huge part of why I'm so terrified is not just of the test itself, but because I really don't feel ready to drive on my own. I've never taken driver's ed (honestly the idea scares me to death... sigh), and I've probably gotten no more than 10 hours behind the wheel's experience. My parents (especially my mom) are convinced that I'm ready, even though I still shake and my mouth goes dry every time I drive.

I know *how* to drive, and I know the rules of the road. I'm an adequate driver, but I just really don't feel comfortable behind the wheel at all. I feel like I need another summer's worth of practice (it's not like I'll need or have a car my first year in college anyway - woo for the bus!), and perhaps with another year I'll be ready to take the test.

The problem is that I can't convince my parents that I'm not ready. They're so intent on me getting my license this summer (even though they will almost never take me driving).

Thanks so much for the advice, guys. If I can't get my parents to let me cancel and take it next year, hopefully I at least won't kill the examiner? :)

You're absolutely right. You're not ready. So you're likely to fail the test, but that's okay. (You won't kill the test examiner even if you really try. Your car is designed to protect passengers. The main risk is you'll kill someone outside your vehicle, but that's why you're going to pay very careful attention to what's around you, particularly what's in front of you since you will mostly be traveling in a forward direction.)

I suggest you convince your parents to pay for driver's ed. If they won't do it, then pay for it yourself. It's really not that scary, in fact you're more likely to die of boredom than anything... it's mostly classroom instruction with a few 10-minute sessions behind the wheel now and then. But it will increase your confidence and teach you some safety rules, so it's worth it.

Also try to convince your folks to take you driving. Anytime they're going somewhere, and you're not in a hurry, get them to let you drive. There is no way around this fear except to just plow through (remember the cheesy Dune mantra?) You need the practice. If your folks think you're ready to handle a car alone with less than 10 hours behind the wheel, they are delusional.

(I have to wonder if your parents have bothered to look at insurance premiums for young drivers... it's their money on the line if you crash the car. Please tell me they do have auto liability insurance, right? It's required by law, if you are caught driving without it you will get a LARGE fine. And that's nothing compared to what it'll cost if you get in an accident when you're uninsured. Do not drive without valid insurance, ever. Consider yourself warned.)

If you can find another person who can legally take you driving (perhaps a friend's parent?), maybe you can try that instead. But get some practice, whatever it takes.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

10 hours of actual driving? Well, don't get me wrong, but I really hope you will fail the test. ;) I probably had 500 hours before I felt secure enough to go drive on my own. Since driving a car is very little about the mechanicals and much more about being aware of what is happening around you and planing your driving right, nothing else than a lot of hours behind the wheel will make you ready.

Is there any way you can convince your parents that you're not ready? If not, go do the test, but know that you will most likely fail. I find it hard to believe that someone with so little experience could pass, because there just is no way it has become automatic for you, and it is too much to do everything without parts of the driving being automatic.

And please go for some driver's ed, new things are always scary, but you will get more comfortable after the first couple of times and it will probably help you a lot when it comes to passing the test later. :)

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

My mom agreed to talk with my dad about me taking the test today, and I'm going to try to convince them to let me take it next year. They seem to think that getting my license when I'm 19 is unheard of and will cripple me in the world (Uh, no, parents. I've known at least four people personally who waited even longer to get theirs who are very successful.) I even made a powerpoint. :P

My mom agreed to talk with my dad about me taking the test today, and I'm going to try to convince them to let me take it next year. They seem to think that getting my license when I'm 19 is unheard of and will cripple me in the world (Uh, no, parents. I've known at least four people personally who waited even longer to get theirs who are very successful.) I even made a powerpoint. :P

My roommate waited until just a couple of months before she turned 19.

I got my mom to let me cancel but she thinks the whole thing is ridiculous and that I'm only canceling because I'm afraid of the test.

I don't know why I can't convince her that less than 10 hours behind the wheel, still freaking out over the prospect of driving, and having no idea what to do unless I'm on an easy route I've been on hundreds of times before makes me seriously unprepared for the test or to have my license at all.

Archived