Forums are back in action! ×

TRX? Anyone have experience with this?

Caitriona

I recently bought a Groupon for 10 yoga classes at a local place. Turns out they also have fitness classes, including beginner TRX classes, which I had previously not heard of. I'm trying to start building strength - is this something that would be worth going to? I'd love to hear about any opinions or experiences from you guys!

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

They're a great addition to bodyweight work, and they can be a lot of fun and add difficulty to even a basic routine. I've used a similar system (albeit not in a class), and I enjoyed it. If you're already getting under the barbell, it may not be necessary/beneficial, but if it looks interesting, go for it.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I've got to agree with Corbab. It's useful to add to bodyweight exercises. The class is more geared toward strength and conditioning than pure strength, so you won't make as fast of gains as if you were doing exercises that you could only do 5-6 reps per set, but it's still useful. I'd say try it and see if you like it. After all, exercises that you like to do are always more effective than ones you hate to do.

Thanks, guys! I haven't actually started lifting yet, and I don't think I'll be getting into it to the degree where I'm concerned about fast gains. I just want to work on my strength and endurance, and I'm at a point where I just want to try some new things to see what I like. Sounds like this will be one of them. =)

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

My gym has one and I've messed around with it some. Looks like a solid addition to body weight routines, but nothing beats a barbell IMO. Also, O! H!

Clearly someone has no experience with gymnastics rings.

TRX is okayish. If you enjoy it, then go for it. But for bodyweight strength work nothing really beats rings and personally I'd even go as far as to say superior to everything else. But that really depends on your goals.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Sounds like a great plan, give it a go and let us know what you think. I'm a big fan of TRX and have definitely increased strength and endurance using it. Other equipment can also do this - which is a relief, imagine if only one form of exercise worked, and all the others didn't.

TRX has got it's strengths and weaknesses but if you're up for trying some new classes why not give it a go. From experience, make sure you're challenging yourself each class - that's how you ensure improvement.

Privateer Adventurer

STR 4.75 | DEX 1 | STA 6.75| CON 2 | WIS 5| CHA 3

Archived