Forums are back in action! ×

Finally, fitness buddies (nerds) I can relate to!

Hi there! I'm Ianthe, I'm a twenty-something hailing from Pennsylvania although Texas was my home for 19 years. I live up here with my soul-mate and best-friend: my hubby. As of last year I had a turn around in my health... through depression and anxiety I had eaten my way to 180 lbs over the course of two years. I was always the skinny one in high school, but hardships in adulthood changed that. I realized when I couldn't climb my own apartment stairs without pain and heaving breath that it was time I faced my fears and forced my way through weight loss. Somewhere in the middle around 150 lbs, I realized I wanted to make this an entire lifestyle change and start distance running as soon as my limbs would allow it! I can say now, with extreme gratitude, that I am at my goal weight of 114 lbs and I can run an eleven minute mile and just finished my first 3K on the treadmill! I am not done with my goals however - I'm continuously looking for new challenges and new ways to further better myself and my body. I want to strength train now, and as a mesomorph I think this will be an easier way to encourage self-esteem. (I've struggled with being insecure for years)

As for the diet side of things, I love protein and I love veggies. I'm a meat girl and get ridiculously excited over chicken and beef. Fruit is hard for me to keep eating, as I find I get bored with it after awhile - any advice? I know fruit is expensive when you want to have a variety. Has anyone truly had luck with farmer's markets? I also love cooking my own meals. Skillet-top, oven, or grilling - I'm there. <3 I try to count calories everyday, but twice a week I usually ballpark by eyeing up the food and dissecting it in my brain piece by piece if I don't have my phone to log everything. Yeah, I'm anal.

Now then! Apart from working out/dieting being my major hobby in life, I am in love with the following: Photography, photomanipulation, Fantasy/Sci-fi novels, MMORPGS, Table Top Roleplaying, LARP-ing, Long hair, Corsets, Magic: The Gathering, (I have a Mono Green deck that has beaten many. You laugh? I'm serious, it does work.) Javascript (I know, I'm outdated) and all things computer. Which is why I am soooo thankful and blessed to have found this website... I do NOT get along with the norm at the gym. (or coffeehouse. Or... um, anywhere for that matter. ;] )

Anyway, I hope to meet many other inspiring people along this journey. And I hope to be encouragement and support for those who need someone who's been there. Hope this wasn't too long of an into post. Have a fabulous day!!

Ianthe

Minimalist Runner FTW

Welcome the forums! As far as fruit goes, you could just buy whatever is in season. I have a huuuuge sweet tooth, so fruit is never really that boring to me. Farmer's markets are way awesome, although I haven't been to one since I moved to Arizona.

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

Hey Ianthe!

First off, congratulations on all your progress so far, it sounds like you're doing awesome!

Second, I can say I have had good luck with farmers' markets--around here it's cheaper than the grocery store, or on par price-wise but more fresh.

Also, I can definitely believe that your green deck took out a lot of the competition :P my friend has a wicked mono-green ramp deck that routinely cleans up at casual tournaments. I currently have a blue/white control deck :P But I love drafts, do you?

Anyways, have fun and good luck on your plans :D

Hey lanthe, welcome to the community, it sounds like you've done well already, gz on the running :)

As for the diet side of things, I love protein and I love veggies.

Clearly you were made for paleo :P You probably have had a look, but in case you haven't here's an intro and here's a good site about it.

You might want to think of joining the next challenge when it starts, also if you want to start with strength training go have a look at Starting Strength, if that's too daunting go check out Steve's Beginner Body Weight Workout (Which you probable have already)

Here's a good motivational

if you have trouble getting up in the morning.

Human Ranger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3

6 Week Challenge

"I'm not gonna build a wall, I'm gonna lay this brick as perfectly as it can be laid - you do that every day and soon you have a wall." -Will Smith

Welcome the forums! As far as fruit goes, you could just buy whatever is in season. I have a huuuuge sweet tooth, so fruit is never really that boring to me. Farmer's markets are way awesome, although I haven't been to one since I moved to Arizona.

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought getting cheaper deals by whatever is in season... for some reason, I thought they would hike up the price because it would taste better, lol... thanks for the tip!

Hey Ianthe!

First off, congratulations on all your progress so far, it sounds like you're doing awesome!

Second, I can say I have had good luck with farmers' markets--around here it's cheaper than the grocery store, or on par price-wise but more fresh.

Also, I can definitely believe that your green deck took out a lot of the competition :P my friend has a wicked mono-green ramp deck that routinely cleans up at casual tournaments. I currently have a blue/white control deck :P But I love drafts, do you?

Anyways, have fun and good luck on your plans :D

Thank you, dearly! I love your username, btw. :D

I will definitely give the market a go, then, for real this time. It's so intimidating with the hustle and bustle and rows and rows of picked fruits... hehe.

Muwahaha, good, someone else knows that a solid green can kick some serious behind. :D Nice to meet another player. I sometimes do Blue/Black but Blue/White is pretty awesome... I know someone who made a Blue/White Spirit deck and it held up rather well. Which was cool. Control decks are the quickest way to me ending the game in a Hulk-out session... lmao...

Hey lanthe, welcome to the community, it sounds like you've done well already, gz on the running :)

Clearly you were made for paleo :P You probably have had a look, but in case you haven't here's an intro and here's a good site about it.

You might want to think of joining the next challenge when it starts, also if you want to start with strength training go have a look at Starting Strength, if that's too daunting go check out Steve's Beginner Body Weight Workout (Which you probable have already)

Here's a good motivational

if you have trouble getting up in the morning.

Wow, thanks so much for the warm welcome and links! I appreciate it! I have heard the word "paelo" in dieting but I actually have NO idea what the heck it is, so thanks! I'm on it.

Minimalist Runner FTW

Mmmm frozen grapes are a great treat...Like mini popsicles :D

Welcome, Ianthe! Glad you're here with us!

Yes, fruit that is in season means stores have a BUNCH of stock, so they put it on sale so it will get bought up! This summer I've found 2lb boxes of strawberries at Kroger for $1.50 - dirt cheap! So keep your eyes peeled. Kiwis are in season too, and at 4/$1 I eat em every day :D

Level 1 Maenad Adventurer

STR: 1 --- DEX: 1 --- STA: 2 --- CON: 1 --- WIS: 3 --- CHA: 2

MyFitnessPal

Instagram

Dang, congrats on your progress so far! I wish I loved working out as much as you do! Have you tried frozen fruit? Especially blueberries and grapes, super good

Thank you so much, ma'am! I do love exercise, it's wonderful mental and spiritual stimulation for me. Sometimes viewing it like that helps. <3

OOOH! Frozen fruit! Great idea...!

Minimalist Runner FTW

Mmmm frozen grapes are a great treat...Like mini popsicles :D

Welcome, Ianthe! Glad you're here with us!

Yes, fruit that is in season means stores have a BUNCH of stock, so they put it on sale so it will get bought up! This summer I've found 2lb boxes of strawberries at Kroger for $1.50 - dirt cheap! So keep your eyes peeled. Kiwis are in season too, and at 4/$1 I eat em every day :D

*hugs* Eee, thanks Jazzy! I'm glad to be here, and thankful you're here, too!

Dude, frozen grapes... solid fruit + icey cold taste? Sounds delish.

BLAHHHH I wish we had Krogers in PA. We might outside of the capital, but boo! Haven't had kiwis in years... I think I might take you up on that idea. Can't go wrong with green. ;)

Minimalist Runner FTW

Archived