Forums are back in action! ×

Finally Playing with the Big Boys

vintageenvy

So this is a sort of unique Woot, but I'm very proud of myself none the less. It requires a little background story I suppose. I go to a fairly large gym, which I love, and the upper level weight/machine area is pretty obviously divided into two sections. On the far right of all the machines there's the yoga room and main classroom where they have space for most of the body weight exercises and stretches. There are medicine balls, big work out balls, and the lower range of free weights. This is clearly the "Women's Side" of the gym.

On the other side of the machines is the heavy weights area. You have all the benches, full range of free weights/barbells, and the ONLY lat pull down bar in the whole gym. This is where you find your standard "Bros" that flex in the mirrors and turn red trying to outdo each other. Until yesterday I avoided this side of the gym like the plague. Not only do I go to the gym at one of the busiest times of day, but the judgy Bros are always there at that time. However, since my deadlifts are getting better I grew out of the 25 lbs I could do on the ladies side and went over to use their barbells and decided to stay there for the remainder of my workout.

They stared, and they were annoyed I took up their space, but I decided it didn't matter. And that is my Woot! for the week. :saturn:

No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.

Hobbit Adventurer
STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5.25 WIS - 5 CHA - 6.5

That is fantastic! Good for you! Give them time and they'll come around...at least that is my hope for you. I have guys coming up to me quite often to compliment me and my bf when we workout b/c in my gym...you just don't see many women 'in the back'. They (the other women) haven't learned yet...that's where all the cool stuff happens! ;)

Whats with guys being all territorial of the weight section? Do they think that women are weak and un-capable of lifting heavy weights? Pfttt never mind them and you keep doing your own thing, soon enough youll out do all of them and they wont be annoyed but they will be trying to keep up after embarrassment of a woman beating their asses. So heres a woot for you! Have fun and dont mind these guys! :)

Your money is the same color as theirs. That's all that matters. If they give you grief, complain to management. If they give you grief, it's a sexual/gender harrassment issue....

(true story, my wife ladywildross has a service dog who goes everywhere with her. One gym did not like this. She went to the Ohio Civil Rights Commission... One letter later the tune changed...)

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Good on you, def worth a Woot!

I don't think it is just a male thing though as even at my gym people are just generally 'rude' & lack manners/patience. Even when I'm with my male trainer, he constantly has to ask people to move etc they just think they own the equipment & space even though they aren't using...

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Good on ya! Let 'em stare. You pay for the gym, you get to use the gym. That means alllll the things ... I mean, all the weights. ahem.

If you want to get one of those boys on your side, try asking them (nicely) to spot you. This will give them a chance to show off their macho-ness while convincing them you're likeable. (This is really true, it's called cognitive dissonance. Doing someone a small favor actually increases your liking of them, because the brain thinks, "Why did I help her? It must be because I like her. Yeah, that's it, I like her and want to help her.") But you could just ignore them if you want.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived