Forums are back in action! ×

Just in the nick of time...

*edited for length*

My initial post was really (REALLY) long (sorry, I was overexcited!:emmersed:), so I edited it down to the basics.

Alter ego: Sambie, social worker to outcasts and mutants alike in a post-apocalyptic world, in the style of John Constantine with some of Tony Stark's meticulous nature thrown in.

Personal interests: reading/writing, doing stuff in the wild outdoors, gardening, cooking, creative things, playing games, any scifi/fantasy/geek stuff (Currently watching Eureka and reading American Gods)

Fitness history: Overweight my whole life, and a long pattern of trying something for awhile and then stopping, reverting back to the starting point. 16 wks ago, I made a change, and have been sticking to it hardcore for the first time in my life, to prep for an obstacle 5k. 1wk ago, I accomplished that big goal, and immediately felt dead in the water. Needed to find something to help me tap back into the imagination and passion that drove me for the first 16wks. NF could not be more perfect.

Fitness goals -

Long-term: complete a 10k without stopping (not looking for a crazy short time, and 10k is my max running distance); do 5 perfect consecutive pushups; 2 consecutive perfect pull-ups; hold a 5-minute plank; get down to a healthy body fat percentage (getting calipers soon to measure).

Short-term: run a mile without stopping or walking; 2 consecutive perfect pushups; 1 pullup; 90-second plank.

Current Status: 198lbs, 5'8.5"; can do almost one perfect regular pushup, can do 15 perfect knee pushups; can run 1/4mi without stopping or walking.

Means: high-intensity intervals (running with bodyweight), bodyweight strength training, some free weights, trail running, running with obstacles, biking, yoga

Diet: Working toward mostly Paleo; primarily lean proteins/veg/fruits with some carbs (raw plain oats, Ezekiel bread). Cut out added sweeteners of all types 4wks ago to cut the brain's addiction to sweet tastes.

Motivation: Family history of weight-related disease, the rush from accomplishing a physical task I knew I couldn't do before, being proud when I get really sweaty/dirty, the desire to know my body is healthy, desire to be a good role model for my family.

Thanks! :) I'm really happy to have found this place. I did have a question...I would like to do the next challenge and I was thinking of joining the Adventurers guild because I'm new and I do have a fair amount of jiggle to lose before muscle/strength/endurance become the main targets. Can you change guilds at some point? I have a feeling, based on what I read already, that I'm headed for the Ranger guild, because ultimately I want to achieve my fitness goals by doing a lot of different things. I get bored too easily and my attention span is too short to focus all my energy on one thing for very long. That's why when I discovered interval training, I found I could enjoy running...as long as I broke it up with some burpees, pushups, or crawls. :) So, should I start out in the Adventurers guild and then move on? Or should I head right for the Rangers guild?

*edited for length*

My initial post was really (REALLY) long (sorry, I was overexcited!:emmersed:), so I edited it down to the basics.

Alter ego: Sambie, social worker to outcasts and mutants alike in a post-apocalyptic world, in the style of John Constantine with some of Tony Stark's meticulous nature thrown in.

Personal interests: reading/writing, doing stuff in the wild outdoors, gardening, cooking, creative things, playing games, any scifi/fantasy/geek stuff (Currently watching Eureka and reading American Gods)

Fitness history: Overweight my whole life, and a long pattern of trying something for awhile and then stopping, reverting back to the starting point. 16 wks ago, I made a change, and have been sticking to it hardcore for the first time in my life, to prep for an obstacle 5k. 1wk ago, I accomplished that big goal, and immediately felt dead in the water. Needed to find something to help me tap back into the imagination and passion that drove me for the first 16wks. NF could not be more perfect.

Fitness goals -

Long-term: complete a 10k without stopping (not looking for a crazy short time, and 10k is my max running distance); do 5 perfect consecutive pushups; 2 consecutive perfect pull-ups; hold a 5-minute plank; get down to a healthy body fat percentage (getting calipers soon to measure).

Short-term: run a mile without stopping or walking; 2 consecutive perfect pushups; 1 pullup; 90-second plank.

Current Status: 198lbs, 5'8.5"; can do almost one perfect regular pushup, can do 15 perfect knee pushups; can run 1/4mi without stopping or walking.

Means: high-intensity intervals (running with bodyweight), bodyweight strength training, some free weights, trail running, running with obstacles, biking, yoga

Diet: Working toward mostly Paleo; primarily lean proteins/veg/fruits with some carbs (raw plain oats, Ezekiel bread). Cut out added sweeteners of all types 4wks ago to cut the brain's addiction to sweet tastes.

Motivation: Family history of weight-related disease, the rush from accomplishing a physical task I knew I couldn't do before, being proud when I get really sweaty/dirty, the desire to know my body is healthy, desire to be a good role model for my family.

You'd got some goals and a plan, so you're well on your way. Welcome to the rebellion

Archived