Forums are back in action! ×

Building a Home Gym... HELP!

Toph821

So I've decided to use the spare room in my condo to build a home gym, or at least somewhere I can work out regularly and in one area. However, I really don't know where to start.

I currently have a treadmill, jump rope, pull up bar, and few dumbbells, but other than that, I'm clueless as to what I need to build a decent beginner gym. I'm also considering making this one of my goals on my first challenge. (Although I'm not sure if it would be considered fitness or personal...)

All suggestions are appreciated! And keep in mind, I'm on a major budget, so million-dollar home gym machines are a BIG NO for multiple reasons...

I have an exercise ball, a half exercise ball (I so don't remember what it's called... I use it to work on balance), an adjustable weight bench (it goes from decline to flat to incline), free weights from 2-12 (I need to get 15 and 20, but they are so flipping expensive!), resistance bands, a stationary bike, a yoga mat and a thicker roll out mat, and a 10 pound medicine ball. Plus a pull up bar, but you have that!

For Christmas I am getting this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everlast-Heavy-Bag-Power-Fitness-Stand/17747646

I am moving all my workout stuff to the living room. We moved the tv to our bedroom (mostly because we don't use it, so there is no point in having a room centered around it). Maybe one of these days I will put a pic up of my stuff! That would mean I have to upload a pic from my PC because for some reason nothing wants to load from my iPad... ARGH! Maybe that should be one of my challenge goals? LOL!

ETA: I got all my stuff at Walmart.com (site to store). I couldn't argue with the prices! People were selling used on Craigslist for the same!

I think that's a total challenge goal... and I'd love to see a pic of what you've done with your gym/fitness/area/living room/whatever. I was definitely thinking that I need some kind of bench press and a bike of some kind. I live in the city, but it's still practically impossible for me to bike anywhere.

I think that's a total challenge goal... and I'd love to see a pic of what you've done with your gym/fitness/area/living room/whatever. I was definitely thinking that I need some kind of bench press and a bike of some kind. I live in the city, but it's still practically impossible for me to bike anywhere.

I wanted to get a regular bike with an indoor attachment. Those things that make a road bike a stationary bike! My dad has two or three... Anyway, that was too expensive. I got my stationary bike for under 200. The only thing I don't like is the pedals. I have to wear shoes! That is a huge hurdle for getting on the bike. But, I did just get new shoes, so my old ones will probably be down graded to "bike shoes"!

Well, think about what you want to do with your gym. As in, what routine/program will you be following? For me, I'd need a bench, barbell, plates (4x45, 4x35, 6x25, 4x10, 2x5, and 2x2.5 lbs), and a rack. But that's cause I do a barbell routine and nothing else.

What you need depends entirely on what you want to do :)

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

You've already got everything you really need for fitness, although if you want more weights you could always add a sandbag or a medicine ball. (I made my own from gravel, plastic bags, and duct tape.) Heavy stuff is everywhere: cinder blocks, water, sand, you name it.

If you're in the market for new stuff, maybe a yoga mat and towel (and/or blocks), if yoga is your thing. Or a resistance band, if such things appeal to you. Or a stability ball (those things are fun...) Or hang some rings from the pullup bar, or get a box or bench for step-ups and jumps. Or a punching bag. The possibilities are endless, which is why fitness is a billion-dollar industry.

But at this point, creativity will probably serve you better than new equipment. So if you're really on a budget, stick to what you have. The only time you truly need to buy stuff is when your old stuff breaks beyond repair (and you want to keep using it). If you get bored, that's a good time to try something new too, because people who get bored are one step away from quitting. But you don't NEED anything other than what you've got. Perhaps you could invest in some exercise books or new clothes instead?

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My gym consists of:

Treadmill

Pullup bar

Dumbbells (15lb, 25lb, 35lb)

2x Diner Chairs

Resistance Bands

Exercise Ball

Set of homemade PVC Parallettes

Thick mat

Yoga Mat

Foam Roller

I'd like to add some gymnastics rings (ceiling mounted, to replace my beat to heck pullup bar), a weight vest, and an ab wheel in the future. I don't use the exercise ball much, but it acts as a bench when I need one. I use everything else regularly.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

but other than that, I'm clueless as to what I need to build a decent beginner gym.

You have the perfect beginners gym already

'Along this path of life we're bound upon, the right road is wholly lost and gone.''

Dante's Inferno

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bothan Assassin

English Literature with Film Student

Guild Wallpapers

Waldo's sounds great!!

I use a pull-up bar and 2 10kg Dumbbells. Anything else lacking I can work around :)

I would suggest some resistance bands. Not for primary exercises, instead for mobility exercises. Shoulder mobility is extremely important, resistance bands are the best tools out there. Plus they are like $10.

I can do pretty much everything I want to do right now except muscle ups, which rings would facilitate. Unfortunately you can't do a muscle up on a doorway pullup bar. Mine is about done anyway, its pretty much worn out. A weight vest would be nice for weighted pulls and dips, I can (and do) tie a DB or two around my waist, but it is a bit clunky. Could get a proper dip belt though and ditch the rope, but a vest will have a lot more uses I think.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Thanks. I'm looking into getting a few more things. My sister said she would give me her stationary bike since I can't bike outdoors in my area. I'm also looking into getting a bench, as I'm using a coffee table right now... and I don't want to break my coffee table.

I am so proud that I uploaded these! Here is the link to my photobucket album... These are the only three pics in there! This is my home gym that I told you about. I forgot to add that I have a step, too. I use it for rehab on my knee, but it is good for box jumps and leg workouts, too.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii564/Shannon_Kellogg/

I hope this works. I can't get the photos to load through my iPad. Argh! The link will have to do!

For my home gym I have 5 kettlebells, 2 benches(well I am letting a friend use one for now), 2 bars, adjustable dumbbell set, and some yoga mats. I have some other equipment but I really don't use it much. I suggest you get a kettlebell they are cheap and versatile. You get more bang for your buck. Just make sure you get a decent book or dvd to learn from if you want some suggestions feel free to message me.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nocturnis, Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

Archived