Forums are back in action! ×

Rebel Guide! Which One!?

Inksplat

So, basically, I'm trying to figure out which of the Rebel Guides I should pick up, either Rebel Fitness or Rebel Strength, or the third option of neither.

I've got my diet more or less figured out (at least in terms of already being Primal/Paleo), but I'm at a pretty low level of fitness. I'm 315 pounds, and looking to keep as much muscle over the course of my weight loss as I can manage.

The equipment I have access to is: Body weight, pull up bar, stationary bike, a pair of dumb bells that I can currently take up to 25lbs each (or a single one twice as heavy), and a 10lb sledgehammer I picked up for shovelglove. Won't have access to a gym membership until April at the earliest.

My long-term goal is to hit a 10% body fat (or less), but my immediate goal is weight loss while keeping what muscle I do have.

So my question is..which book is right for me? Are either of them?

I ask because while it seems like Rebel Strength would be the way to go for me, but as I'm looking through the forum, I'm not finding a ton of mention of it. Mostly I'm seeing Starting Strength, 5x5, and Greyskull LP. Is there a reason that the Rebel Strength Guide doesn't get a big push? Would I be better off going a different route?

Basically, I'm looking for something that is going to give me a plan I can grow with, from overweight novice, and then as far as it can take me. I tend to excel when I've got instructions to follow, and a plan laid out, given that I'd rather do things right the first time, ha.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Human Ranger (Level 1)

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge Thread

I started out with Rebel Strength Guide and really liked it. For me, Starting Strength was more of an intermediate thing. Admittedly, I didn't do any research, just decided I wanted to switch from dumbbell to barbell workouts, and picked the RSG. So, it's a good buy, builds several workouts (barbell, dumbbell, body weight, etc.) and there are levels of each. So from that perspective it's a good starting point.

That said, I did look at a lot of Rip's videos and ultimately also bought Starting Strength to refine form.

You can also do Strong Lifts, I believe there are apps for free. And there's also a starting strength wiki. Plus lots of NF blogs for weighted and body weight workouts. So if money's an issue, there are plenty of options the other direction, too.

I gues my answer is, for me, there was no right (or wrong) answer. I liked RGS as a true newbie. But if I had started with SS that probably would have been fine, too. :)

You're welcome for the longest non-answer, ever!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I used SL5x5 for a bit when I had access to a gym and it's good. I haven't used Starting Strength but the program is very similar, you just also get a book filled with information on good form, muscles being used, etc. I would hold off on either of thsoe until you have gym access because they are exclusively barbell workouts and the amount of weight you need for them can pick up fairly quickly

Archived