Forums are back in action! ×

When to try physical therapy

A little backstory required for this one, so bear with me.

I've been pretty sedentary since about my second year of college, which is also around the time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Weight gain, sedentaryness. Rinse, repeat for about 10 years. Had two babies, with two c-sections (not my idea, but that's how it goes sometimes). Now I'm getting in better shape, but I have a LOT of scar tissue in my hips/pelvic area, which is causing me some (read: a lot of) limitations when it comes to my fitness, especially yoga, but it's also affecting my lifting.

I've been working on this issue via massage, foam roller, and yoga. I've seen a little progress, but it's been very little, and it doesn't seem to be continuing. I can't sit cross-legged for any length of time without discomfort becoming pain in my hips.

I've never had physical therapy for anything before, so I don't know if this is a situation where it would be useful or not. Any thoughts? Could it possibly be helpful? Or would I be better of continuing as I am?

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

PT has always helped me and I always wait too long. I'd say you've been living with pain, trying to do your fitness plan and you should go as soon as you can convince your ego to agree. My

$.02. Good luck.

[TABLE=width: 700]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wherever you go, there you are.

FSJJunkie (FSJ = Full Size Jeep)

Spartan Scout w/ assassin tendencies

STR:7.75 DEX:7.33 STA:14 CON:5 WIS:7.5 CHA:4

Multisport Athlete (Triathlon/Duathlon/Offroad Triathlon/Adventure)

Previous Challenge

[/TABLE]

I'd go to PT ASAP. I wish I had not lived with my hip problems for 22 years before going to PT! A good one can do amazing things to help you get fitter.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Archived