Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from Toronto

Hi Everyone!

First, I'd just like to say this is such an awesome concept. I've spent countless hours leveling up dozens of characters over my gaming lifetime...why not level up myself a little bit, too?

A bit about me:

I'm doing my MA in English Literature at York University this Fall, and have just moved into my downtown apartment today (woot Canadian rebels!). I've been wanting to live downtown for what seems like forever--now that the dream is starting to turn into reality, it just seems fitting that I should continue that trend with the other aspects in my life.

I used to be a competitive swimmer, and got up to the Provincial level in high school before I ended up leaving the sport. I left for a bunch of reasons, but mostly, I just wanted to have my life back -- trying to balance school, work, and a social life while having 2-hour practices, 9 times a week burnt me out. I just wasn't happy.

While I enjoyed a fuller social life and have accomplished my goals in work and school since leaving the sport, it came at the expense of physical strength, inner health, and overall happiness with my self-image. Getting diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma when I was 18 really shook me up and made me realize -- with life so fleeting, why spend a moment of it unhappy with who I am?

Since then I have begun to take control of my physical health one step at a time, and consequentially, my emotional and spiritual health too. I have been seeing a personal trainer since late May, and will be trudging through Tough Mudder this August with a group of friends as the "Riders of Rohan". I plan on joining a Water Polo team this October.

Some stats:

Height: 6'4

Weight: 180 pounds

Right now, hitting 190 pounds is my biggest goal-- I've hovered around 180 for a while now, so I just got to push through it and keep at it.

Anyways, it is nice to meet you all :)

Woot! Another Canuck, and a fellow swimmer/water polo player as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Although admittedly you're a bit farther ahead of me in the fitness department. I'm jealous. (Also, awesome dog!)

Welcome to NF, although I feel awkward saying that as I'm a rookie myself.

Woot! Another Canuck, and a fellow swimmer/water polo player as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Although admittedly you're a bit farther ahead of me in the fitness department. I'm jealous. (Also, awesome dog!)

Welcome to NF, although I feel awkward saying that as I'm a rookie myself.

Thanks for the welcome! And for the compliment on my dog :P I love chocolate labs.

I haven't actually played much water polo yet-- I'm really excited to try it though! It looks pretty intense.

You'll get used to it much quicker than I did, especially with the competitive swim background. You'll have the swimming speed and the endurance needed to swim back and forth, which I didn't have when I started and am still somewhat lacking (it's why I'm here), but I can at least outswim most of the people who aren't competitive swimmers on my team. Admittedly the caliber of Water Polo will be higher in Toronto than it is in the East Coast... Overall it will be intense but very fun.

As for dogs: I love bigger dogs, like Labs, Shepherds, Huskies, Bernese Mountain Dogs, etc. Most of the ones I've encountered are very friendly, and I bet they're fun to take out for runs. Once I'm out of school and settled that's something I'd love to do.

Woohoo Toronto! I'm just moving away, so keep the nerd level up for me when I'm gone, k? :P

And welcome! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

You'll get used to it much quicker than I did, especially with the competitive swim background. You'll have the swimming speed and the endurance needed to swim back and forth, which I didn't have when I started and am still somewhat lacking (it's why I'm here), but I can at least outswim most of the people who aren't competitive swimmers on my team. Admittedly the caliber of Water Polo will be higher in Toronto than it is in the East Coast... Overall it will be intense but very fun.

As for dogs: I love bigger dogs, like Labs, Shepherds, Huskies, Bernese Mountain Dogs, etc. Most of the ones I've encountered are very friendly, and I bet they're fun to take out for runs. Once I'm out of school and settled that's something I'd love to do.

Yeah, I am not too too worried about the actual swimming aspect of Water Polo. I'm a bit rusty, sure, but that'll just take a couple sessions to get back into it. Catching and throwing a ball (with one hand no less) is a completely different story. But alas, that's why I'm stepping out of my comfort zone.

I love big dogs too-- I really want to get a Husky sometime, but that won't be for a long, long time. At least until I have my own condo which is bigger than 400 sq feet lol. gah. :P

Woohoo Toronto! I'm just moving away, so keep the nerd level up for me when I'm gone, k? :P

And welcome! :D

Haha, I swear, as soon as I move in to the city, everybody I know has started to move elsewhere! -.-'

Thanks for the welcome, and I'll be sure to keep the nerd levels high ;)

Ah! Great dog. Love labs!! I have a 1.5 year old great dane named Juno... It was my dream to get a dog too once I got settled and finally that happened last year! Best thing ever, and having her has gotten me out of the house more regularly than before I started university.

I just joined NF community too. Welcome :)

August 6th - September 17th:

Isobel's 1st Challenge: "Time To Book It!"

"Outside of a dog, a book is a [wo]man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Archived