Forums are back in action! ×

I can't be the only one...

Thilde

Fellow rebels, I seriously need help. For my running shoes.

They reek. Like, oh-em-gee. :hopelessness: They're New Balance trail shoes, and I've followed the directions on the NB site for shoe care, which basically seems to amount to spot cleaning/brushing and wiping off the mud/grime. They don't seem to address how to manage stink from sweaty feet. At first I was all proud of my stinky shoes because all that sweat is MINE and I worked hard for it. But then I realized DUDE! that's gross. :disgust:They don't have enough miles on them to toss them and get new ones, so I would really like to find some way to de-funk them so I don't have to store them outside. (seriously, it's that bad!) I wear them only for running, and I take them off immediately and let them air dry (usually outside or by the screen door to, as my dad would say, "blow the stink off." They never get stored in a humid or closed in space, and honestly at this point I'm at a loss as to what to do to clean them up...

What do you guys do to clean and/or de-stinkify your shoes?

(ps. wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully this is the right section of the forums!)

Oh man... I don't have a solution for ya, but I just wanted to let you know you're definitely not the only one. I've only had my Merrells for 3-4 months, and they're horrible with how much they stink, even though they're supposed to have some special anti stink protection going on. They're also supposedly machine washable, but I never really trust that. So I'm anxiously awaiting responses from others, too.

Tonic, do you ever have a problem getting all the baking soda out? I'm just worried about how abrasive it can get.

Caitriona - Gallifreyan Adventurer
Level 1

STR:1 :: DEX:3 :: STA:2 :: CON:2 :: WIS:3 :: CHA:4

Oh man... I don't have a solution for ya, but I just wanted to let you know you're definitely not the only one. I've only had my Merrells for 3-4 months, and they're horrible with how much they stink, even though they're supposed to have some special anti stink protection going on. They're also supposedly machine washable, but I never really trust that. So I'm anxiously awaiting responses from others, too.

I just got Vibrams - and a bunch of places online said that they machine-wash them and it's fine. Honestly, if you run it through a cold cycle (or even warm) with a teeny bit of detergent and just air dry them (obviously don't put them through the dryer), I don't see how it could cause any harm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wannabe Aiel Ranger

Level 2 - Second Challenge in Progress

.: STR: 3 .:. DEX: 3.5 .:. STA: 7 .:. CON: 2.75 .:. WIS: 4.5 .:. CHA: 6 :.

.:Donate to my Down and Dirty Run :.

τὸ χρεὼν ἐπήρτηται· ἕως ζῇς, ἕως ἔξεστιν, ἀγαθὸς γενοῦ.

Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

"Hey, at least you are going out there pooping on elevated surfaces and giving your best! That's what matters right?" - Elefevers the Wise

Just make sure that they are dry. If thre is alot in there I take my vaccum to it with a brush extension. After my brother did the baking sode he would stick his sneakers in the freezer overnight to kill any bacteria, then in the morning dump out the baking soda.

tonic

Shapeshifting Rebel

It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

tonic's taking it back

you can also try putting them in the freezer. (no joke)

just make sure they are dry first. freezing them overnight should kill any stinky bacteria.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I have that powder stuff to help with odor for day to day use. Biggest complaint with it is that it ends up getting on my feet the next morning but it does help with the smell (I use my vibrams daily).

On the weekends I'll put it in a bucket with a mild detergent overnight and then let them air dry. I could machine wash them but don't really want all the gunk from my shoes that I walk around the city in getting on my clothes.

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Wow guys, thanks for all the great ideas!!! I will definitely do a soak with mild detergent and then let them air dry....and if they're still stinky, into the freezer they'll go. Then I think I'll just get in the habit of putting some baking soda in overnight when they're dry from time to time to keep any funk at bay. :)

you can also try putting them in the freezer. (no joke)

just make sure they are dry first. freezing them overnight should kill any stinky bacteria.

Yup, this works :)

'Along this path of life we're bound upon, the right road is wholly lost and gone.''

Dante's Inferno

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bothan Assassin

English Literature with Film Student

Guild Wallpapers

Put them in the freezer overnight and there can't be any smell left. If there still is smell, there's probably a problem with the material of the shoes. I have similar problems with synthetic sports wear. Even after washing them they kind of smell weird.

Yep, I have the same experience with my synthetic running capris...I was them thoroughly but they have a weird smell all their own. So I gave up caring...I run outside anyway so the only ones who would be offended are the horseflies that buzz around constantly. :) I am definitely going to do the freezer trick. Super excited at the possibility that I might have non-smelly sneakers again!

Archived