Forums are back in action! ×

Diet vs. Exercise for Weight Loss

Horsedog

I'm a little dumbfounded by how many resources still get used to study this type of thing. I'd like to see some more time, effort, and money spent on integrating the findings into day-to-day life. Seriously, research is stupendously expensive (I work in cardiovascular research, and have first-hand knowledge of this). While I realize there is benefit to adding to any knowledge base, after a point the returns dimish to the point where it is difficult to justify continuing at such a pace.

Anyway, here's the link to the article, which also includes a link to an "improved" weight loss predictor.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?hpw

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Is anyone actually surprised that someone who weighs 200lb burns less than someone who weighs 300lb? I suppose having actual data and formulae is useful, but it doesn't exactly seem like groundbreaking information. Also, one scientist essentially said the findings just supported what they already knew.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Is anyone actually surprised that someone who weighs 200lb burns less than someone who weighs 300lb? I suppose having actual data and formulae is useful, but it doesn't exactly seem like groundbreaking information. Also, one scientist essentially said the findings just supported what they already knew.

Exactly. And was there any reason for these researchers to believe they would find anything different, any new hypothesis to be tested? Again, there is value in confirmation, and in adding to the growing pool of knowledge - but at what cost? I suppose this could be compared to a maintenance stage of exercise - the goal is not to increase fitness, but rather not lose the level of fitness already attained. Still...

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Archived