Forums are back in action! ×

Trochanteric bursitis/hip strain

Wildcat

Anyone had this? I'd like to know how long it might take to heal. I'm not a patient person and I don't like to be told I can't work out (especially when I need to get my legs strong). I had hip pain for about a month, and about a week ago I started having trouble sleeping, so I finally dragged my rear end into medical and came out with 14 days of light duty (limited PT) and this diagnosis.

I got the usual: High dose of Motrin, "rest", ice. Any other tips, stretches, exercises to help heal faster? I need to be back on my feet, so to speak.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

I have a blog. It can be found here: http://wildcatspeaks.blogspot.com. I put my training up here, accomplishments, how many times I've vacuumed this week, etc.

Why yes, I have had that issue for um now let me see, about 25 years or so. However, after going to physical therapy and getting a bunch of exercise I can say I am pain free :-)

There is an exercise that seem to make the most difference. I don't know if I can describe it but I'll try. I do them when I am making coffee in the am, about 20 reps per hip.

Stand on one leg. cock that hip out exactly sideways, like a belly dancer doing the first move of a hip roll, The bring that hip in and stand up straight. Do not dip either shoulder it's a strictly hip movement, not back or shoulder movement. Repeat until you've done the number of reps you need to. I started at about 5 reps, and I had to hold on to something because I had no sense of balance and I'd fall over when I did it. Now I can do 20 on each side without any support. Start slow, the pain from overdoing it hits you about 24-36 hours later and you can't lie on your side at night, or walk and your hips feel like they will collapse under your weight, BTDT went back to PT and got chewed out for doing too much too fast.

Another one is a stretch using a wall, stand at a wall parallel to it so one hand is on the wall and then stand on the foot away from the wall. Take the foot closest to the wall and move it to the outside away from the wall as a stretch. rinse and repeat, I could manage about 3 reps initially, now at about 8 reps. Do this after you've walked some or jumped rope or jumping jacks or something to get blood flowing. DO NOT do it as a "cold" stretch, BTDT and seriously DO NOT do it.

Hope that helps

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Archived