Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! New here, need help!

Hi! I'm brand-new to NF (only found out about it today, seriously!). I'm an overweight 5'8, 200lbs, been gaining and losing the same 15 pounds for about 5 years. Put simply, I want a better body, and no one else's ideas have worked. I can manage to keep a diet and exercise plan for about 3 weeks before reverting to my usual routine of not exercising, eating processed foods, and eating out often. I'm an inexperienced cook, so I'm going to need a lot of help with the diet plans especially...

It seems like people have received great results on the NF plan, and I'm fed up with everything else and willing to try ANYTHING. Help me get my life on the right track!

Hello Drucee, and welcome. I'm pretty new here myself, but have been getting myself back into shape for a while now with great success. I agree with you that sticking with it in the beginning is one of the hardest things, I've had dozens of times in my life where I've started eating better and working out, only to lose it 3-8 weeks later. Most people do really...compare any gym parking lot on Jan 10th vs Feb 10th to watch the New Years resolutioners fizzle out.

The best things you can do for yourself are to develop sustainable habits, and get involved with people that will help you stay on track. That's a great thing about this forum, lots of people to help keep you encouraged and give you ideas to break your rut. As far as habits, that takes time. I'd start by reading this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/06/04/new-habits/

As far as eating better, that tends to be one of the toughest things to stick with...or it can be one of the easiest. Learning to cook is a huge help, and there are lots of really simple and tasty recipes out there. Learning how to do a good meat and veggie stir fry, a good omelette, a good salad and oatmeal from scratch are what I started with, all of which are delicious enough (and healthy) that I'll never stop making them. I can give you recipes if you like, just let me know. Additionally if there are any fruits or veggies you like raw, buy them and snack on them or add them to meals in place of less healthy fare...that will go a long ways on its own.

Archived