Forums are back in action! ×

And from out of the shadows...

Okay so, I've been reading Nerd Fitness for a while now, just lurking around and not being involved in the actual community. But it's time for that to change, and here we are.

As far as my exercise background goes, I'm coming from a good place. I've always been involved in sport and I started weight training 5-6 years ago to compliment my football training (Rugby League). Since then I've gone on to learn a lot about exercise science and training principles and am a qualified personal trainer in Australia and I am two semesters off finishing my degree of Human Nutrition and being able to register as a nutritionist.

Despite having knowledge about fitness though, my biggest problem seems to be consistency and discipline when it comes to training myself. I was always consistent when it came to football training, but when it comes to training myself, I'm basically just lazy. Hopefully by joining a community like this I'll feel more accountable and train more consistently. I think it just comes down to I don't have as clear a purpose for training now that I'm not in a competative sport, so I need to find something specific to train for (I'm thinking Tough Mudder 2013).

As far as nerd factors go, I'm not one for obsessing over things but if I have any obsessions at all, I have one with Doctor Who. I don't get excited about anything like I get excited about a new episode. I was never really into video games, although I did play games like Ocarina of Time, as well as lots of multiplayer games with my brothers. I was more the sort of kid that stayed in his room reading books and completing jigsaw puzzles. I also love self guided learning, but hate formal study. Go figure.

Okay, wow, I'm going to wrap up now because this is way too long of an introduction.

Basically, hi. I look forward to being more involved in this community.

Fellow book nerd and Dr. Who fan here. There are a few Timelords floating around the forums, too. :) Welcome! And, no worries about your "long" intro post....mine was easily 4x that length and I was so embarrassed that I went back in, deleted everything, and reduced it to bullet-points. :)

I also find I need something specific to train for, or else my routine starts to get all wishy-washy. I spent the past 4 months training for an obstacle challenge...once that was over (3rd wknd of July), I immediately felt the wish-wash setting in (slowly eating more carby carbs, working out 1 or 2 fewer days/wk than usual, etc). It's been a couple weeks of that and I'm definitely ready to get back into a more structured routine. Putting a goal at the end is the most effective way to get my brain to accept the structure. :) So, I signed up for the Mountain RAID in October....a 4-mile obstacle course on a mountain at a local ski resort. Should be a good time. Good luck to you on your Tough Mudder 2013 goal! Look forward to seeing you around the forums. :)

Archived