Forums are back in action! ×

Syndactyly and Vibram Five Fingers vs. walking in sandals

Hi folks, got a quick question for you.

I have syndactyly (webbed toes) between my 2nd and 3rd toes on both feet. I'd like to start wearing some form of the Vibrams when I go walking, but I've read that these shoes are not really meant for me with webbed toes.

I've read about the fix (snipping the end of the shoes and resewing them) but I'm neither a seamstress nor do I have the cash to pay someone to modify the shoes.

My question is: Would I get a similar benefit from walking in minimal sandals as I would with the Vibrams?

The sandals I have are the formless $1 pair from the bin at the store. There's very little padding (on purpose) between my feet and the floor.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Titanium Bulwark

Level 4 Goliath Warrior

STR: 14.5 DEX: 7 STA: 12.5 CON: 8 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 5

Out of 100 men in battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are real fighters,

Ah, but the one,

One of them is the WARRIOR, And he will bring the others back.

- Hericletus 500 BC

Isaiah 40:31 "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

I'm no podiatrist but recently I read an article on how flip-flops are horrendous for your feet because your toes have to do strange things to keep them on.

If your $1 sandals have more than just 1 strap, that'd probably be better.

Also, other than Vibram and Merrell, there are other "barefoot" options that don't have individualized toes all the way through. Just do some googling!

Is going truly barefoot an option? Much better than any "barefoot" footwear IMO. Depending on the construction of your sandals, they could be fine. They make minimalist running sandals as well, you might look into Huarache (sp?) running sandals.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Archived