Forums are back in action! ×

In training for the Zombie Apocalypse

Hi! I've been lurking for a while and just worked up the nerve to sign up and post this week.

I've spent most of my life as the girl other people counted on outrunning when the Zombies come; this year I'm on the dark side of 30, and finally working on turning myself into an outrunner instead. Or, at the very least, an out-pedaler :) It's going to take a lot of work, though. I've done myself a lot of harm over the years, and ended up with terrible knees and ankles as a result. I can't walk for exercise, which bugs me, but I can bike madly, and I do; and I can lift weights, too, though I haven't started that yet. I have no idea how to lift free weights safely and I'm nervous about asking at the Y. So right now I just volunteer for heavy lifting around the house, which is intermittent but always challenging.

I've been overweight my whole life - I think I first really noticed something different in fourth, maybe fifth grade, and it's been all downhill since then. My dad is also extremely overweight, and one of my brothers. I've dieted a LOT over the years, and tried just about everything I could imagine to lose weight, but until last winter, the numbers only ever went up. My highest weight was 370, which I hit sometime around Spring 2011. By that time I had just stopped trying - I was eating crap that would make this entire forum cringe! Not just grains and carbs galore, but full-sugar cokes, giant bags of Doritos wiped out in a day, entire pizzas, big cans of pringles, bags of candy... I think I had just decided there was nothing I could do about it, so I might as well wallow.

I don't know what happened, but sometime last summer, all of my back pain went away. I went from taking eight advil religiously every day to needing none, practically over night. I started doing some walking, because suddenly I could, and over a couple of months of that plus eating only marginally better (I basically stopped going to McDonald's and Burger King practically every day), I dropped about 50 lbs. Around that time, I also learned I was most likely gluten intolerant. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I cut out all gluten for a week to test it. All of my digestive issues stopped almost immediately, so I started researching gluten-free diets, and ended up with Robb Wolf, and from there Mark Sisson and the whole Paleo crowd. So I started being seriously Paleo/Primal around mid-February of this year. I'm down to 290 now, which is 80 lbs lost; I have a huge amount to go, but I can be patient about it, because I've finally found something that works.

I found this place from a link on Mark's Daily Apple, and so far I am amazed at the awesome. Looking forward to hanging out with a bunch of like-minded geeks while I keep going where I'm going!

[table=width: 500, align: center]

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Merry, Halfling Adventurer

"I don't have to outrun the zombies. I just have to outrun you."

|| STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2 ||

Current Challenge: Runner Five

[/table]

Welcome! First congrats on how far you've come already! You have made such great progress, but most importantly found what's worked for you and aren't in a rush to get where you're going.

I say keep on keepin' on with what you're doing. If it's not something you've tried already, you could start with a body weight workout (look on the blog - there's a body weight specific one and I think the angry birds one is body weight, too), if that's something that interests you.

When you're ready to start lifting, see if you can find a workout partner maybe?

Either way, you've made a great start, and are doing great! Join in the next challenge, starting on Monday!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Wow. You're already doing so well, keep up the awesomeness.

I'm still new here so this feels a little awkward, but Welcome the the Rebellion! We're glad to have you :)

They're a super supportive bunch here, I know you'll find whatever extra ingredient you need to keep the awesome going.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Welcome! I'm pretty new to getting in shape too, and I just joined NF yesterday. So we're totally in this together. See you around.

For my confession they burned me with fire and found I was for endurance made.

-My favorite card from Magic: The Gathering, and apparently from Arabian Nights too.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! And Kelly, I'm edging my way toward the bodyweight workouts. I'm going to join this challenge in the Adventurer's Guild but I'm hoping to end up a ranger or a warrior. :)

Church and Panurge, looking forward to being co-n00bs with you. So far this place seems wildly awesome!

Laney, I hear you, I'm making this update on my iphone. :)

[table=width: 500, align: center]

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Merry, Halfling Adventurer

"I don't have to outrun the zombies. I just have to outrun you."

|| STR: 3 | DEX: 1 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2 ||

Current Challenge: Runner Five

[/table]

Archived